Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Steering/Turning Question - 2001 Silverado 1500

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bracester, Jul 20, 2009.

1. bracester

bracester New Member

Well I am about to buy this truck here soon and I just learned that when the wheel is turned past a certain point there is a noise of some kind like a squeaking or squeeling that the owner said is easily solved by using WD-40.

To me, and always DIY'ing it on cars most of the time that means something needs to be replaced. Keep in mind this truck has 102000 miles and my guess is the steering hasnt been touched since it was bought.

Do any of you have a clue as to what this might be and if WD40 is actually going to cure (completely fix) the issue?

TIA
    Matt

2. bracester

bracester New Member

Bump, just in case someone who knows missed it.

3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

probably ball joints but it could be a many different things

4. cibach

cibach New Member

I have a sound that seems similar to yours.. maybe?? Mine seems to coming from the steering column and it only does it when I turn to the left.. I have checked ball joints and have changed out pitman and idler arms.. mine is a 2000...

5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Kinda depends on where the squeeling is coming from. Is it like a belt slipping squeel, when a lot of pressure is in the power steering box (either from going bad) or at full turn sometimes the belt will slip. I am assuming its not the whine from the power steering box at full turn either.

6. bracester

bracester New Member

ya and that is where it is tough to say since the truck is not in my posession just yet, I will post more details on the specifics when I get the truck here soon