1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering wheel alingment

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Conlan Rose, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

So I got into a small fender bender with a Dodge Stratus this afternoon that ****ed my steering alignment as you will see in a picture below. Really the accident was my fault because I couldn't see her as I pulled out and then bam she hit my driver front wheel and part of the fender, but its not fault the mall made the whole parking lot a giant blind spot with trees and bushes. Luckily it wasn't to hard and did little to no damage to her car, but it did dent mine and mess up the steering quite a bit.

I'm not sure what to do about it besides call my insurance and tell them even if the lady said she didn't want to get them involved. (she likely doesn't have any based on the condition of her car). Any options to fix the alignment without the $180 it costs to get it done professionally.

That is my steering wheel when the wheels are straight.
    IMG_20130727_222034_455.jpg IMG_20130727_222118_285.jpg IMG_20130727_222123_159.jpg IMG_20130727_222129_259.jpg
  2. 95C1500

95C1500 Member

$180 for an alignmeatnt? You need to see a new guy. Mine was about $69. Either way, after my lift, my wheel was like that and the alignment fixed it
  3. Conlan Rose

The 180 was an estimate because in CT the min labor rate is 90 an hour.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Dang, that's off by a ton.

You might want to check with your local code enforcement office, there are rules for where and how big trees and shrubs and line-of-sight obstacles can be placed, being a mall and a public place of business, not sure how that all works together. For instance, I lived in one Texas city and a neighbor who owned a corner-lot put some shrubs up to get some privacy. Problem is they put them too close to the 2-way stop sign and corner, this city said everything must be cut back to lower than 4 feet from the apex of the corner. If there was an accident there, they could be held responsible.
  5. Conlan Rose

Getting the alignment on Tuesday and replacing the tie rods as well she should handle much better. Also my new tires go on Tuesday and my master brake cylinder gets fixed.
  6. Dana W

Dana W Member

Yeah, I was gonna say, that much steering wheel misalignment points to some bent tie rod parts, no question. No simple alignment is going to fix it.
  7. Conlan Rose

Funny thing is I had bought the tie rods long before this problem so good thing I waited to install.