Electrical Steering wheel control lights

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by suprdav2, Nov 4, 2009.

1. suprdav2

suprdav2 New Member

Hi. New member here. Just bought a 2007 Silverado W/T NBS a couple of weeks ago. Noticed that the steering wheel controls for the cruise control don't light up. Aren't they supposed to, or is that just on the upper trim levels (LS, LT, LTZ)?

Thanks!

2. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Rockstar

Not sure. What I have been told is that the only fix is to replace the switches.....I heard they were about $25 each, all mine are just about out

3. DIGS16

DIGS16 Rockstar 100 Posts

from what i have understood from other ppl on this forum... that u have to some how pop out the buttons and replace the light

4. suprdav2

suprdav2 New Member

Buddy of mine told me today that there is a separate fuse for the back lighting of the steering wheel controls (2 amp fuse). Popped open the fuse panel, and found that there was no fuse in that slot. Tried putting on in, and felt real loose, like there are no connectors for the fuse to go in. Guess the WT models aren't wired for the steering controls to be back lit.

5. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Rockstar

Well, the only button on my steering wheel left that is lit is the one to check fuel economy....now my radio is starting to go dark one button at a time:grrrrrr:

6. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Is your truck still under warranty? This happened to my Acura and the dealership took care of it under warranty.

7. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Rockstar

My Silverado is an '06....out of Warranty....figures, the truck has been going down hill as soon as it hit 50K....maybe this is normal, for a vehicle to start experiencing problems at 50K....haven't owned a vehicle more than 30K in over 15 years:confused:

8. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have very few problems with my '01 S10 running 95k miles or so. Doesn't make sense for the truck to be having some many problems, maybe it's a lemon.

9. rbkart

rbkart New Member

What is the safest and easiest way to pop the buttons out of the steering wheel without causing further damage?