Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering Wheel Conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by MTM, May 3, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Okay so lately i have been thinking of taking a steering wheel from a new body style like an o4 or so one that has all the buttons in the steering wheel. Has anyone done this or know anyone who has? Any input be great
  2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How would you set the buttons up to work? The way steering wheel buttons work is that each one of them has a different resistance value, sending a different resistance value back down the column when pressed.

For example... radio controls. If the radio sees 5 ohms from a button press, it knows that it needs to adjust the volume up. If it sees 4, it will volume down. If it sees 6, then it seeks up the band or advances to the next track on the CD.

These are not actual impedance readings, just numbers thrown in to illustrate how it works. You would have to have a way to make the components you want to control with the extra buttons understand how to interpret the signal impedance it receives.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had no idea that's how it worked. I suppose it's done to use fewer wires...
  4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah... one single control wire and a handful of resistors can make all sorts of magic things happen!

When you figure that including illumination wiring and horn wiring in addition to all of the functionality that some steering wheels provide (My wife's Prius, for example has front and rear defrost buttons, stereo controls and temperature controls), you would need a contact ring the size of a Frisbee and a bundle of wires the size of a garden hose to make them all work if each button had it's own wire!
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  5. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I've got a buddy that's a electrician for vehicles he would be the one doing it. Electrical work isn't really my specialty. I know many people that take newer steering wheels and convert them to older body styles. Friend of mine has an 06 steering wheel from an excursion in his 95 f-150. But i didnt know if anyone has done it in a chevy
  6. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Did he do it with one that added steering wheel functionality? And did he get it working? I'm curious about this mostly just for general curiosity. I have the steering wheel controls, but the way they make it work was interesting as well. So simple and yet I'd never have thought about it. But I'm also no electrical expert.
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have to say that is a Great detailed writeup..:great: But I think The Pre 03 Wheel is a differant Spline then the Newer ones..

One of the members on here wanted a new wheel from Grant and I asked them and they said it would not fit.. So look into that first.

As for the programing as said above anything can be done. When I was at Sony we had fun one day and had a Radio remote control work a Snow Plow..That was fun..