1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering wheel moan when turning

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by SurrealOne, Mar 27, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've got steering wheel moan in my 2004 GMC Sierra. It happens only when turning the wheel to the left and/or returning it back to center after a left turn.

PS fluid levels have been checked and are fine. I did the steering clunk fix (zerg fitting and grease) some time ago and am sure it's not the intermediate shaft 'clunking' as it's prone to do. I talked to a mechanic who basically said, 'don't worry about it', however it grates on my nerves and I want to identify and fix the problem.

The sound seems to come from column, itself. Any thoughts as to where/what I should be looking at for this?
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You may want to check the movable contacts inside the steering wheel that controls the horn and stereo buttons. They are coated with a dilithic grease that can dry out and cause the noise you are talking about. Just a shot but I hope it helps.
  3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I actually just noticed this same issue happening on my truck a few weeks ago, couldn't figure out what was going on.
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have this same problem on my 03 Avalanche. It only ever does it at parking lot speeds and turning left or returning from a left turn. It feels like it grinds a bit when it does it, but everything with my steering is in good shape. I looked through the GM service info thing and couldn't find any TSBs about it, so I just try to not worry it even though I really don't like it.
  5. Josh

Josh Member 100 Posts

LOL hahah turns a corner.....uuuuuaaaaaaahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnn. lol
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ditto, @pmf608. I can find nothing wrong but it bugs me so I want to identify and fix it. :(
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

boy this one is a stumper. never dealt with this on mine, or on my old 03.

Alex
  8. CowsPatoot

CowsPatoot Member

Add one more that has this issue, but not a clue what it is. Has been happening for years on my 2001 Z71. I had never connected it with left turns...but now that it has been mentioned, it IS only on the left turns. Only at slow speeds...mainly when backing out of my driveway (which is to the left). I have always thought it felt like the vinyl on the steering wheel rubbing against the column...although that doesn't seem to be happening. It is worse when it is cold.

First thing I have noticed is that everyone that mentions having this issue has a 4wd...could we be onto something here? Sure sounds like it is in the column though. I have never looked at the 2wd set-up....do they also use the pitman arm/idler arm, or are they a rack and pinion setup?
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Since it seems to only be 4x4 trucks, we can rule out the steering column - its the same on both 2wd and 4x4. The 2wd trucks have a rack & pinion steering system, which never had any noise in about 300,000km (186,000miles) on my Silverado, but this noise seems to be something to do with the pitman/idler setup on the 4x4. I just have no idea what... maybe something internal on the box?:neutral:
  10. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Had this noise for quite a while. When I replaced my shifter so I can have tow/haul again, I cleaned out the inside around the base of the steering wheel and such. Haven't noticed it since.