Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering wheel moan when turning

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by SurrealOne, Mar 27, 2012.

1. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

my 2000 p/u steering moaned when during cold weather and so do I
  2. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Check the dust seals around the shaft. I had a truck come into the shop with the same problem and it ended up just being the column shaft rubbing on some rubber.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Anything in particular to look for?
  4. osgprometheus

The truck that came in had tilt steering. Where the tilt dust cover went under the top side of the column into the dash was rubbing on the shaft.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've got tilt, as well. I'll check this.
  6. osgprometheus

Let me know. I'll hop back on to see what you came up with.
  7. domano 68

domano 68 New Member

Did this fix the issue? Could you post some pictures of the area you are supposed to inspect please? Thank you!
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had the same issue on my 05. I tore apart the column and found nothing. I had a warranty on it and found a small leak in the steering gearbox. I had them replace the gearbox and to my surprise the moan stopped immediately. It really sounds like it is in the column, but the sound travels up the steering shaft.
  9. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

My son has this same issue.... we replaced pump still problem still exists. My mechanic friend says there is a valve on the pump or something that controls the fluid flow. Since we reused everything but the pump my guess is our problem is the valve. This maybe what everyone else is experiencing.
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I replaced my pump also, no change. it was a valve inside the gearbox.