Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

steering wheel not locking

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by grinner, Feb 12, 2013.

1. grinner

grinner New Member

2005 silverado 1500. Jacked the front end off the ground to replace the hub assembly. My steering wheel is not locking. Any suggestions?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I'm gonna start with a stupid question, did you remove the key? Ok and now a more real answer the steering wheel locks via a mechanism in the steering column. It is a replaceable part, but a pain to do so.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't think that the 05 came with a steering wheel lock! I am pretty sure that they stopped putting them in sometime around 2002, my 05 yukon xl does not have one, either did my 02 silverado
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would figure that you DID have a lock on the steering wheel before you started this project .

there is a pin that locks the wheel also a spring that throws the rod into the fixed lock plate. may need some lube or the spring broke / popped out.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I disagree, my 2002, 2003, and 2005 had no steering wheel lock. [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] has an 2004, maybe he can let us know if he has a steering wheel lock. GM stopped using them when they introduced Passlock 2. I guess that they felt no need for that security feature and they saved a boat load of money not putting them in.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. grinner

grinner New Member

You know I am not sure if the wheel locked before. I also read that the locking mechanism was discontinued on my year model.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I agree with the disagree, my '05 did not lock and my '09 does not lock.
  8. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I also agree with Pikey and RayVoy. I have a 2003 with no steering wheel lock. I also researched that topic at one point, and GM did discontinue it somewhere around 2002 because they didn't think it was necessary with the level of security passlock 2 offers.
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a 2004 with no steering wheel lock.
  10. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

how long have you owned this vehicle ?