1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

steering wheel not locking

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by grinner, Feb 12, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Two years -- I bought it used. I'm pretty anal retentive and set out to fix things that were known issues when I bought the truck ... and this was one of them because my previous truck's (2001 Silverado) steering wheel DID lock. I inquired about it with a stealership and, after a VIN lookup, was told there wasn't one on my year/make/model vehicle.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I bought the 02 new and it had no lock. I bought the 03 used with no lock. The 05 was also bought used, but I have had the steering column apart and there is no lock mechanism in it.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That would Drive me nuts to no end. I like the steering lock it makes me feel secure and know that if my truck were to be broken in to they would be unable to steer it. Do the 2002-up have the shift lock that only allows you to shift from park if the key is inserted? Because that is the greatest if some one were to try to hot wire the car they would never be able to shift in to gear only run the engine.
  4. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

Hmm... im pretty sure my 2003 has a steering wheel lock. Now I need to recheck
  5. Pikey

Steering wheel locks are not going to stop someone that knows what they are doing from stealing your truck. It just takes a hammer and a punch to defeat. Usually the same punch they used to rip open the plastic column to expose the wires to hot wire it. We used to see recovered trucks in the shop all the time. Before passlock It was pretty simple to hot wire a truck. I installed the remote start on my 95 by myself and was surprised at how easy it was to hot wire it. Just find the hot wire, the ignition wire and the starter wire in the column, connect all 3 for a second, the truck starts, disconnect the starter wire from the group and you have a running truck. With pass lock it is not all that simple. You might get it to start but it will not stat running. A professional thief is going to take the truck no matter what security system your truck has. When my 1998 a sonoma was stolen, they hot wired it and then just took a pair of visegrips to the ignition key cylinder, apparently they just grabbed it and pulled hard enough to break it, defeating the shift interlock.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I know it wont stop them it just makes me FEEL happier and more secure. Also I know that my idiot friends couldn't do anything to my truck because they lack those skills. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could easily mess up the steer lock.

Any way even if they did all that they would be really unhappy once they found out they can't undo my parking brake since it has no lever and unless you knew about it you wouldn't find it with any ease. Still I do plan to upgrade the locks and security system of the truck once I leave peaceful Milford.
  7. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is true. There is nothing that can stop a thief - a steering lock can be defeated, gear shift lock just disconnect the cable and shift the transmission. Even PassLock 2 is a stupid system. It is based on the correct resistance being given when the ignition cylinder is turned - so if you can force it to turn without the key, you can start the truck without security issues. AND PassLock ignition switches only had something like 9 different resistors in them, so if you had all of the correct resistors, you would be able to trick the truck into thinking the ignition switch was turned.

I don't really care that mine doesn't have the steering wheel lock because if it's going to be stolen, its going to be stolen. That's what I have insurance for. As far as I'm concerned most thieves in my area just steal things from vehicles rather than the whole vehicle. An alarm that is triggered by a shock or glass breakage rather than having a door open would be much more valuable to me than a steering wheel lock.
  8. Pikey

LOL, I agree. if they want it they can take it. As far as the resistors go, bulldog remote start sells a resistor that automatically finds the correct resistance. I have installed a few on some cheap remote start systems. That auto resistor can be used to steal a truck also.
  9. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That sounds about right. Most bypass modules would probably work on a similar idea (for 99-02 anyway... the 2003+ ones can just send a computer signal saying that its OK to start). When you make that many vehicles with a grand total of 9 different resistances, it doesn't take much at all for a halfway decent thief to get past it. With a bypass/auto resistor, just a few quick connections and away you go. And as long as you just go through the window without opening the door, the alarm won't even go off.
  10. Pikey

I had a pressure pad starter kill relay installed in my 95. I put it under the carpet next to the accelerator pedal, where that vinyl pad is. It stopped someone that got ahold of my keys from being able to mess with my truck (ie.. dumb friends) My parents could not even figure out how to start it and I had shown them how! I would turn the key forward, click the pad with my foot and then start the truck. 98% of people in my truck never knew it was there. Upgrading locks and security system is pointless in my opinion. They will just break a window if they want something. In my opinion a flashing light on the dash along with some common sense is just as effective and much cheaper. Plain and simple, don't leave things in clear sign that other people want. I keep the inside of my truck pretty clean. I have a stock radio. If someone looks into my windows all they will see is my coffee mug in the cup holder and my kids' car seats. I don't leave CDs out, I don't leave phone chargers visible, no change in the cup holder or in clear sight, when I had a system I shut it down well before I entered the place I was parking, bumping base while you park announces that you have something nice that someone that is dishonest may need! When I was working in downtown Detroit a coworker had his truck broken into for .65 cents and a few empty bottles sitting in his cupholder. (10 cents per bottle return in Michigan). Great, a $200 window replacement for less than a dollar in change and bottles.