1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Steering wheel off by 90 degrees

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by Fernando6318, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Fernando6318

Fernando6318 New Member

Hi everybody, I just replaced the center link,both inner and outer tie rod ends and my steering wheel is off by 90 degrees, what do I need to do to recenter it?

2. stratct

stratct New Member

Did you count the threads when you pulled the tie rod ends and install them with the EXACT same count? If not, try that. Or get a front end alignment

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If all else fails, get an alignment.

4. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

i just replaced the steering gearbox on my 04 silverado, in order to do so i had to disconnect it from the pitman arm and steering shaft, aswell as disconnect the power steering lines. when the swap was all finished my steering wheel was off by 45 to the right. i realized that when i slid the pitman arm onto the splined shaft of the gearbox that i didnt get the wheel oriented straight with the tires.

To resolve the issue i had to get the pitman arm back off the gearbox, rotate the steering wheel and re attatch the pitman arm onto the splined shaft of the gearbox.

However the frame cross member prevents you from being able to use a pitman arm puller with out removing the gear box from the vehicle. its a pretty tedious process but can be done in an afternoon, i'd never changed one before and did mine in about 2 hours the first time, the second time when i adjusted the wheel it only took about an hour. If this sounds like more than you're looking to get into taking it to a shop might be a good idea.

Hope this info was helpful.