1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering Wheel Radio Control Bulbs Out

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jason778, Nov 29, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jason778

jason778 New Member

Some of the backlights have gone out for my steering wheel radio control buttons. Is there any way to replace these bulbs?

Thanks!
  2. jason778

jason778 New Member

OK, I have figured out the bulbs cannot be replaced, the switch assemblies need to be replaced. I know they just pry out of the steering wheel but there seems to be little or no slack to get the switch all the way out to unplug the harness. I think I can get the two on the top but the bottom 2 don't seem to even have enough slack to even get to the back of the switch.

Can anyone that has done this before provide some suggestions on how to do this?

Or does anyone have a Mid-2000s year Service Manual that can tell me what it says to do?

Thanks!
    Jason
  3. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 New Member 100 Posts

Having just replaced my wheel, I can tell you that both the cruise control and audio switches are held onto the trim pieces by two torx screws each. Be careful.
  4. jason778

jason778 New Member

Thanks, I have an 05 so I actually have a different wheel than you do. The switch modules do seem to slide right out. There is hardly any slack on the harness though. I don't see why GM would not make the harness 1 inch longer and this would not be an issue.

I think I can get the top two done fine. I am trying to find out if the Air Bag has to be removed to get the bottom two out enough to unplug the harness and re-connect it or if there is some other trick.

Thanks
  5. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member 100 Posts

all my bottom ones are out... biggest pet peev!
  6. dshewy14

dshewy14 New Member 100 Posts

I changed mine in my 03 and I just used a Lil flat head screwdriver and pried the harness off and slide the new ones in. A Lil tricky but can be done
  7. 1500ExtChevy

1500ExtChevy New Member

Common problem with Mid 2000's I also have a 2005 Silverado same problem, and I even had a bulb on the Speedometer go out. Truck only has 50,000 miles now. If still needed I can let you know what the Service manual says, but like stated before a little patience and a small flat head will get the job done, its just a pain.
  8. jason778

jason778 New Member

That would be great if you could tell me what the manual says to do, especially for the bottom 2.

As expected, I was able to get the top two changed out with little effort and a pair of long thin-nosed pliers.

I can not get either of the bottom two switches out enough to even see, let alone disconnect the harness. I am afraid to pull any harder because I don't want to risk tearing the harness if it really is that tight. If these had the same amount of slack the top ones had this would be not problem. I would like any suggestions because I really don't want to mess with removing the Air Bag.

Thanks
    Jason