1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering Wheel Removal

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by sstoner911, Mar 10, 2012.

1. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

I am going to be removing the steering wheel on my 2008 Sierra, usually there is a small steering wheel puller that is used. I dont have that tool and was wondering if anyone has removed the steering wheel without it.

In case anyone is wondering I am disabling the air bag by disconnecting the deployment loop in the column rather than disconnecting the negative battery cable etc....

I dont know if anyone has the problem I have with my steering wheel but on the spokes the rubber coating is flaking off. I am guessing it doesnt hold up to the oils on your hands very well. I had it replaced once under warranty but now of course I am out of warranty! :glasses:
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I just did a Grant wheel on a 09 Chevy.. There are 2 push and relese holes on the side. I use a thickpaper clip to push them in then the airbag comes off. I took out the Airbag fuse and wait for 15 mins.. Grant Wheel.jpg The silver on my wheel is a little worn where my finger goes but I have not seen any flaking
  3. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

Where yours is silver mine is black. Its like a rubber feel and under it is shiny plastic. I have that silver on my door handle trims and the trim around the power lock and window switches. That silver finish is a bit more durable.

As long as the airbag fuse AND deployment loop is din connected you shouldn't have to wait any period of time to remove the airbag.

What I plan on doing is Hydro Dipping the spoke covers or maybe the entire wheel.
  4. dipstick

dipstick New Member