Steering Wheel Sound

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by supermanwv, Jul 1, 2009.

1. supermanwv

supermanwv New Member

In my 2009 Silverado 1500 LT 4x4, there is a clicking sound when I turn the steering wheel. You can actually feel it in the steering wheel also. So it must be somewhere between the steering wheel and where it actually meets the dashboard. I asked the dealer, and he said it was because it was new. NEW CAR SQUEEK.

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem. It is constant...when turning the wheel it happens about every quarter turn.

Anyone else had this issue?

Clark (SupermanWV)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  2. ChevyFarmKid

ChevyFarmKid Rockstar

i have a 03 1500, i had the same clunking noise, it is in the stearing shaft, I have put 2 new ones in and they last about 30,000 miles. then it starts doing it again. the other noise you are hearing is the shaft rubbing when it is going through the fire wall and there is nothing you can do for it except get used to it.

3. blmcam

blmcam New Member

Try This

We have found that if you put a muffler clamp on the shaft it will stop clunking. Check out dieselplace.com this is where I found the info. They have detailed pictures on where to place the clamp.

4. S1lverad0

S1lverad0 New Member

I had this same problem with my 03' 1500 and i kept taking it in to the dealer where they were patching the problem with a grease kit .... but the problem would keep coming back, about the third time, GM addressed this problem with a fix kit and haven't had this problem come up since.