1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Step / Nerf bar preference

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by KidHauler, Feb 8, 2011.

1. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I'm looking for anyones thoughts on step/nerf bars for our FD's grass rig.

The truck is a '00 Dodge standard cab LB 2500, but I've been looking at the wheel to wheel bars. The ones on it now are for a crew cab, rusted, and just don't line up with anything you're trying to reach.

I like the nfab, because it's tight to the body and US built, but I'm not sure if the steps are big enough for fire boots.
    [​IMG]
    Any insight you guys can forward will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

3. RadoRage

RadoRage Rockstar

I purchased some Westin black 3" nerf bars for my 09 silverado and liked them. I got them from a wholesale buyer for 125 so i couldnt pass them up. Installed easily and work as advertised. There is plenty of room on the foot pads and the finish is good. After seeing the nfab bars on a friends truck and using them to get in his truck, I have to say they're very nice. They didnt have as much step room as my Westins but felt much firmer. If you are worried about the space, measure your boot and look on the nfab site for specs or email them. I'm sure they'll give them to you if you need it.
  4. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

5. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

I would go with running boards. they are wider so yu can step anywhere on them, pus the mud and grass wont slop up thru them like they do with the nerf bars.
  6. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Thanks, gang.
    I talked with n-fab today. They have a set that will fit the dodge, but it attaches to the pinch weld instead of the frame. The stirrups look big enough for boots, but you might have to turn your foot a little.

Traditional running boards are wider, but I think they would get beat up - and shiny stuff has to be polished...

The truck has Westin's on it now, but I talked to them and they don't have a set for this year/body style that's wheel to wheel.
    Follow up: frame mounted looks stronger to me, what is your experience with pinch weld mounted? And, I quess most of the off road stuff we do is in mostly flat fields, so getting off angle enough to bang up running boards probably wouldn't be an issue. Time for more research...

Thanks again,
    D
  7. Pflor86

Pflor86 Rockstar

hey i just got RBP ones they look just like the nfab ones they bolt to the frame and the pinch weld they seem really sturdy. i am going to take some pictures tomorrow and put them up so you can check them out..and for an extra $50 i got a lifetime warranty for them..got them from truckaddons.com around 500 i think
  8. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have the NFabs and yes they do mount to the pinch welds (which is why a lot of guys with body lift like them). I weigh about 215 and can jump up and down on mine with no movement from them whatsoever. Very sturdy.
  9. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

hey http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/member.php/22656-canislupis69 can you do me a favor n dake a picture of the brackets mounting your step bars and upload it, I bought a set of the nfab cab length steps but haven't installed them yet because my passengerside rocker panel is rotted out. Have the replacement rocker panel already I just gotta have it installed, but im considering doing the driver side at the same time. If the steps mount to them it may be a good Idea. Thanks in advance