1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

stepper motors on I/P

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by jarratt11, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jarratt11

jarratt11 New Member

I have a 03 silverado, and as you all know the speedo and tach are whacky. i was wondering if anyone knew if i replaced the stepper motors on the I/P would it fix the problem. Thanks guys!
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

For all the people that have had problems with their clusters on here, it always has been replacing the entire cluster.
  3. jarratt11

jarratt11 New Member

the steppers motors is what control the cluster, so wouldnt replacing them be like having a new cluster?
  4. mhevezi

mhevezi Rockstar

Yeah, I did just the stepper motors on my '04 panel. Replaced them all for about $50.

Just search e-bay, there are plenty for sale.

It's not all that tough, as long as you can handle a soldering iron.
  5. jarratt11

jarratt11 New Member

nice. i was just waiting to see if anyone had done it that way to see if it worked. Ill be getting mine done soon. Thanks
  6. fruckner

fruckner New Member

I was thinking of doing the same i have an 04 as well did it affect your odometer at all?
  7. mhevezi

mhevezi Rockstar

No, it didn't affect my odometer at all.

If you swap the whole IP, you will have to have it re-programmed to true-up the odometer, but not if you just out the stepper motors.

It takes time and you need to be careful, but really it's not all that tough. I didn't get pics of when I did it, but the motors I bought off of E-Bay had step-by-step instructions.

Good luck to all who attempt this cheap and easy fix and Happy Holidays to all regardless!