Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Steps and Bars Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Salesguy1980, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok I have to throw this out to the gang. I just took off my step bars off my HD. My wife is pissed, whatever she doesn't hardly drive my truck. I put them on a month after getting the truck per her request. The '11 is pretty high to get in so I agreed to put them in.

I'm about 6'0 and a big guy. I hurt both my news in the last year mostly my left knee, bad enough to require an MRI and luckily no surgery. I started thinking about the steps, could they be a partial reason for the knee issues? First and foremost my extra weight is the main reason but the steps and how I get in the truck and out def tweaked my knee. The way I get out pushed my knee outward causing the pain. I took them off and the motion is so much smoother for me. I just step out and plant my foot. To get it one leg up and grab the wheel and I am in.

Anyone else have this issue before? I do have 36K and bought the truck brand new last Jan 2011 so I have a decent amount of time behind the wheel.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm short (5'5" tall) so I require the steps on my truck given its 6" of lift and 315/70R17's ... so I can't relate.

Your wife's issue likely has less to do with difficulty getting in and out and more to do with not being consulted about taking them off when she likely felt you put them on for her, at her request. Had you talked through with her the fact that it's less painful for you to get in and out BEFORE you took them off, she likely would have approved of the change. This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me glad I'm not married, anymore!

If it's truly easier on your knees ... leave them off. Just make sure the wife knows why. Perhaps let her calm down, first. If you're feeling belligerent, ask her if she wants to put them on her vehicle since they seem to be so important to her!
    :rofl:

Surreal

P.S. Now you see why I'm a divorced man; I'd have actually done that ... or worse, bolted them onto her vehicle (which was a Saturn, LOL) without asking ... just for fun!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  3. Salesguy1980

The funny part is I have been telling her for weeks now that they are coming off do to my knee's hurting, she said to leave the passenger side on for her, yeah right. She's 5'4 and my truck is pretty tall factory height with LT265 70R 18's about 32 1/2" tire and plenty of clearance above the tires too. She can driver her Envoy anyways lol

(P.S I thought about bolting them on the Envoy but no welder avail when i took them off lol)

4. SurrealOne

Umm, I'm 5'5" tall and would have no issues getting into that. What's her deal?

5. Salesguy1980

Who knows, just likes to complain I guess. Not like she can't get in just not as easy as with steps, at least she didn't ask me to lower it, if anything a 6" lift in in the future hahahaha

6. SurrealOne

You'll probably need to put the steps back on if you lift it...

7. Salesguy1980

Shhhhh don't tell her that, I may get a plastic step stool at walmart tomorrow and put it on the floor in front of the passenger seat as a joke,

As much as you are correct I think my truck looks so much better without steps, I need to take some pics and update my profile