Stereo Capacitator??? 2200 Watts

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by tigersdl65, Apr 27, 2011.

1. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 Rockstar 100 Posts

Im running about 2200 watts in my truck powering subs and mids. I have heard that i may need a capacitator(if thats even how you spell it). I have no idea what this device is. Could someone please explain and let me know if I really need one?

2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Capacitors are thought to help with dimming lights etc when deep bass notes hit at loud volume by storing power be discharged in quick bursts....however they are a complete waste of money. If your alternator isnt able to keep up with yout system anything else is useless.

They come in different sizes( 1 fared, 2 fared etc). In general for every 1000 watts you need 1 fared....so if you have a 2000 watt system you would need a 2 fared cap.

But if you have dimming lights I would look into a larger alternator and upgrading the big three....google "upgrading the big three".

If you dont have dimming lights - I wouldnt worry about it.

3. tigersdl65

The big three doesn't seem to troublesom so ill do it soon, and yes my headlights dim really bad. Im not stereo system illiterate but im still only a year in the game and don't know it all yet. So thanks sstoner911. Do you have a sytem in your truck, if so, what are you running??

4. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a 2011 Kicker ZX 350.4 running 2 sets of components and a Planet Audio VX1400D running 2 JL Audio 12"W3V3's in a 7th order blow through box.

The head unit is a Pioneer AVH-P6000DVD

The subs are at 1 ohm @ 1200 watts.

View attachment 26947

5. tigersdl65

Thats real nice. I hope to aspire to L7's Or the JL W7 some day. Right now i have a Kicker ZX1500.1 pushin 2 12inch Kicker CVR's(unfortunately in a forward fire sealed box under the seat)if i remember corectly wireed at 1 Ohm apeice. Then an Orion 600.4 running 4 Kicker KS6x9 3ways.

Ok two questions: Where does your power cable for your amp enter the cab? and would you warn to stay away from ebay when it comes to buying speakers and amps?

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I wouldn't... Buy from a Dealer that knows his stuff and Please stay Far away from Best Buy... As for caps don't waste your money....Save it for the right things like a Better Alt and Battery. As the JL W7 or the Kicker L7? What do youm listen to? The JL will have Better Sound quality But those Kickers can Pound.

7. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Like listed above capacitors are a waste. By a second battery.