1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stiffer Rear 2004

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by MBurke, Apr 23, 2010.

1. MBurke

MBurke Rockstar

Hello, I have a 04 1/2 ton ext cab silverado. Is there anything I can do to stiffen the rear end up so it won't sag so bad when I carry a heavy load or tow my boat ?
    I have new Billstein shocks on all four corners.
    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Mike
  2. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I Think you can get some sort of spring helpers. I have seen them before, Im just not sure about your model..
  3. 99ChevyZ71

99ChevyZ71 Rockstar

add-a-leafs or some type of helper springs would be my thoughts
  4. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Add a leaf is around $80-$90 for the add a leafs, which are an easy self installation, Helper springs run you a good penny more then that, but what i recommend is having air bags, which cost upwards to $300, but you can change the pressure, low pressure for daily driving, high pressure for when your hauling. Fairly easy installation too.
  5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Look on google for Firestone Airbags. they are awesome and will help you out a lot.
  6. MBurke

MBurke Rockstar

Thanks...I have looked at the Firestone Air Springs. They look cool. Do either one of you guys have them ? and if so.....do you have the ones with a built in air compressor that you can adjust on the road while driving ? Looks like they have a lot of good reviews.
    Thanks
    Mike
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've used Add A Leafs and bags, I prefer bags.
    Bags can be adjusted to ride smooth every time where AAL's when unloaded bounce a bit.
    The down side is bags cost more. If you can afford the expense, especially since you mentioned trailering go with the bags you wont regret it.
    I've got bags on my 2500 Sub and my 1 ton Dually.
    If you install an optional in cab regulator and on board compressor you can adjust while driving. You can go the cheaper route and use a schraeder valve for servicing but again I recommend spending the extra money for the regulator and compressor. THe regulator and compressor can be added at a later time.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  8. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My friends dad has them on his 2009 GMC 2500hd, and when i asked him about them he said that it was the best money he's spent for towing. I'm actually wanting to get a set for my truck, but... I'm getting lift springs so i wont be able to have air bags that are 7"taller then normal bags. Unless i make an adapter to space it out, but i don't know.
  9. MBurke

MBurke Rockstar

Thanks for the suggestions...I can't justify spending $300 or more on air bags. I don't really tow that much. I was kind of looking at helper springs, Like the Hellwigs. Does any one have any experience with this brand ?
    Thanks again
    Mike