Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Still wont start

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Allmostsmart, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart Rockstar

Hey Guys and Gals,

Ok. 97 Suburban, K1500, 4WD, Automatic Transmission. Few months back my truck wouldn't start. Wouldn't even turn over. I have a new battery to start off with. I can hear the solenoid on the starter click but nothing. So I read through all the previous threads and figured it was either the starter, the solenoid, or a bad ground. What I did was replace the solenoid and put new cables on the battery. The one to the starter and the grounding cable to the frame. Worked like a champ for a few months. Same problem is back. I can hear it click but nothing. Battery tested good. cables check good with a meter. So I figured it was the starter. Put a brand new starter in today with no luck. Same thing. One single click when I turn the key. UGH!!! I consider myself a descent mechanic and this is killing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I can appreciate your frustration...

Did a motor swap last fall on my '94 K1500, got everything hooked up and plugged in, turned the key and nothing. No click, no turn over, nothing...

You won't believe this but... had the steering column tilted all the way up, so we could get in and out quickly while working on it. Moved the Tilt down a little bit, turned the key, and it fired up no sweat.:gasp:

Never heard of that one before...

Maybe you will get lucky and find something similiar...

Since you have worked over all of the starter end issues, may need to look at the ignition end of things...

Good luck.

3. WEEBOB

WEEBOB New Member

This is something that happened to me a while back,i heard a squeak that sounded like a throw out bearing,,,,,,motor locked up,,,,,,, changed everything you did,,,,,took the serpt. Belt off, started right up,the alternator locked up and would not let the motor turn over,,,,,just my experience over the years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,terry.

4. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart Rockstar

I appreciate it guys. I pulled off the serpentine belt this morning with no joy. same click. I even took a wrench and turned the motor by hand to make sure it wasn't locked up. I am going to make a small jumper today to the small terminal on the starter.(Terminal S) I believe. and wire a switch to it from the battery. If it starts then I would say its an ignition problem. if not. Ill take the new starter back. Will let you know how it goes.

5. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart Rockstar

Ok. I fixed it!!!! I wired the switch up and it didn't work either but it sounded like the solenoid was working just fine. It was the Cable that ran from the Battery to the starter. I had 12 volts on it at the starter but when I took the cable off and ran a continuity check on it it had 6.5 ohms of resistance!! Built up a new cable and threw it on there and it worked like a champ. New Cable has 0.1 ohms of resistance. Much better. Thanks Guys.

6. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Very cool...:great:

Good work troubleshooting.

7. Sandhopper

Sandhopper Rockstar 100 Posts

Nice Job... Thanks for posting so we all get gain some additional knowledge.