1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stock 17in rims

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by hotrodking86, Oct 27, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 New Member 100 Posts

Has anyone ever powder coated their stock rims to make them look better? I have the stock 17inch rims and I don't really like them I want to spice them up a bit. I really like the 5 spoke 20inch stock rims but they are just as expensive as aftermarket rims. If you have I would like to see some pictures, help a brother out.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Dave......below is a Link that Steve posted just a little bit ago......they are the Silverado 20in" Alloy Rims for a Excellent Price......are these the ones your asking about??......they're the same that I have on my Truck,

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...els-factory-OEM-parts-taken-off-new-vehicle-A
  3. hotrodking86

Thanks Heartbeat, those are the rims I was talking about. I love the way they look, I think they are better than the chrome ones.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Dave.....I couldn't Agree with you Anymore, on those Rims.......I also Love the way they Look on My Truck!!......and the Tahoe 20in" Alloy Rims are just as Sweet looking as the ones you and I are talking about.
  5. LURCH

LURCH New Member

As to Powder Coating rim's I have a set of CenterLine's that were polished and I let them go last winter and didn't clean them enough. Anyway it pitted and ruined them. I have checked with 2 places about coating them and they wanted 90.00/120.00 each for 2 coat's color and clear.
    Have any of you checked on pricing to have this done and if so what was the price. I tried sanding and bead blasting but it always comes back when sanded and polished. I can't afford to do the powder coating so I guess I will sand, primer and paint them with Duplicolor paint and clear. These wheels are billitt and rated at 3200 lbs each and retailed for about 400.00 each to my door so I can't just throw or give them away. Has anyone painted wheels before and have any tip's. Thank's and didn't mean to thread jack!!!!
  6. hotrodking86

Lurch,
    No need to worry about thread jacking, I am glad to hear that you have checked about the powder coating. That does seem little too pricey for me as well.
  7. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Duplicolor makes wheel paint and it works quite well for rattle can paint. My buddy used it on his Chevy Cobalt's wheels and my cousin used it for his Jeep Cherokee wheels and they both came out really good for using spray paint. Also, make sure you take the time to prep the work surface well. Prepping using progressively finer grit sandpaper ( start with 400, then 500, 700, 1,000 etc....) and lightly sanding between coats will give you the best results.
  8. Gregsyellorado

Gregsyellorado New Member

I had the wheels on my old Colorado powdercoated, and the final price was just under $350 for all 4. As for the painting, the paint can hold up well, just do like telo advised and prep em good, otherwise the paint will look awful.