1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stock Gears on a '92 2WD standard silverado C/K 1500?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 5.7guy, Oct 15, 2008.

1. 5.7guy

5.7guy New Member

hello all, had some trouble with my old 5-Speed manual (lost all the gears except 4th) and decided to swap it out. i got myself a TH-350(turbo 350) and was looking at my wide selection of torque/Stall converters and alot of them depended on what gears i had in my rear end. i have been googling for the past hour and 1/2 and i havent found a thing. can anyone suggest a place to look or any other information that comes to mind? i was kinda wanting to find out without having to tear in there and risk losing parts. (or more likely not being able to put it back together :neutral:) i thought about calling someone from Chevrolet or GM but on their websites they only offer info on their new stock ect.
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

im not sure but im sure someone on here can anser your question.

maybe take the qestion to a local tranny shop?

:sign0016:
  3. 5.7guy

5.7guy New Member

thanks for the welcome and that's a good advice. my soon to be father in-law has an '88 model of the truck and has worked ALOT on his. he said that he thinks that they are 3.08 but he isnt positive. hopefully someone can answer my question soon
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Isn't there a transmission code in the glove box? My 98 has the codes on the glove box lid(inside).
    Get that code-maybe 2 letters & a number and check what diff that code says.
    Once you have the code there are plenty of sites you can look it up.
    I think GU4 is 3.08
    www.drivetrain.com will show what the codes mean.
    Charlie
  5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can look in the glovebox and there is a sticker with a number of letter/number combinations. These are RPO codes. from here you can type in Chevy RPO codes on google and it will come up with different sites that have a huge list that you can then decode.