Stock Head Unit Button Lights Serviceable?

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by sje0123, Apr 19, 2010.

1. sje0123

sje0123 Member

2001 Silverado 1500

The stock head unit preset buttons don't all light up. The 1,3,4,6 do not light up. It's been this way since I bought it a couple weeks ago so perhaps that's the way it's supposed to be, but if not, are they serviceable or is the only way to fix them to replace the head unit?

2. BASSIST

BASSIST Rockstar 100 Posts

You can change the. It's a PITA but doable. You have to solder new bulbs in place of them

3. sje0123

sje0123 Member

soldering part doesn't bother me, but how much of a PITA to access them or find replacement bulbs? perhaps it's not worth it.

4. BASSIST

BASSIST Rockstar 100 Posts

I believe my friend got his at radio Shack. He has way more patience than I do. He did it in a couple of hours

5. sje0123

sje0123 Member

Gotcha. Thanks. I'll see if I get around to it on a down day where I feel motivated to go through the trouble.

6. Demon_Speeding

Demon_Speeding New Member

Hahaha. I just bought my 2001 Yukon two weeks ago and have the same problem, but mine are just the 3 & 6 buttons. Soldering doesn't bother me either as I spent 15 years repairing pinball machines. :) Yet another good rainy day project! That and finding new knobs to replace the little broken ones.

I thought about an aftermarket radio, but I want to reupholster, recarpet and put in a new headliner first. Whoever had my truck last was a HEAVY smoker.

7. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Put some open coffee in the truck and park it in the sun for three days. It has worked for me. :glasses:

8. Demon_Speeding

Demon_Speeding New Member

I've tried the charcoal trick, the baking soda trick, windows down over 100 trick (ok, my idea but fun!), three bottles of Febreeze . . .etc.

I really think it's coming from the vents and under all the carpet and plastics. I will give it a GOD cleaning when I strip it all out. :)