Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Stock Radio Problems in my 1994 GMC

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 94 Jimmy P/U, Jul 27, 2013.

1. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

Will turn on but will not play & the clock stays @ 1:00. I Do have 2 of the 4 speakers that still work . but no sound what so ever . My question is do have to put the after market radio in place of my cubbie hole (where the tape deck would be) or can I take the stock radio out & get an adapter to put the aftermarket radio in the same spot as the stock radio ? Also any idea of the size of the dash & rear spekers as id like to change them out w/ a new radio . Thanks Yall Mack

2. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You take out the factory radio and install the new radio and a filler plate. I think you also need an antennae adapter. As fro the speakers, the rear are 4x6... The front, I'm not even sure. What I did was I went to best buy, picked out my radio and seakers and then had them install the rest. Couldn't be happier.

- - - Updated - - -

wait, I just processed it is a 94. I'm not sure how the 88-94 interiors are set up as far as the radio goes. I think most people put them in the little cubby thing in the middle and buy a radio delete pocket for the stock location. The rear speakers are the same.

3. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I have seen them done both ways...i think most of them put them in the cubby hole area...but i like it more in the stock radio area...does urs have a tape deck by the glove box also?

4. I installed a Pioneer AM/FM/CD/Mp3 in my 92 Silverado using an install kit and put it where the cassette tape unit was. I then yanked the rest of the stock GM radio components and chucked them. All 4 speakers are 4x6. I installed a cubby hole where the oem radio was...

5. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

Thanks that's what I was thinking also but it seems along reach w/o a remote to the cubbie & was hoping to go back in the stock location but looks like that route may be out
    I have only seen them done in the cubbie hole area next to the glove box . id like to see how 1 was done in the stock location as that is within reach . the cubbie hole area is kinda out of the way w/o a remote for the radio . no tape deck just an am/fm radio .

That's looking the route im going have to go I'll just buy a radio w/ a remote & thanks for the speaker size cause I was thinking 5x7 @ 1st glad I haven't bought any speakers yet . Thanks Yall Mack

6. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've brought this up before for my '89 Silverado. A standard DIN head unit won't fit in the radio spot next to the gauge cluster, it's too small (not wide enough). You have to put a cubby hole next to the gauges and get a radio addition dash piece to put a head unit where the tape deck and equalizer is in the middle of the dash.

I was trying to think of a way to install a Secret Audio stereo system in the stock radio location next to the gauges. The controls mount on a surface, while the amp/receiver unit is remote mounted elsewhere in the dash.

7. O'Reilly aka Kragen/schucks/Checker Auto Parts has everything you need at link below:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Radio+Installation+Kits+%26+Components/C0419/C0107.oap?model=C1500&vi=1031274&year=1992&make=Chevrolet

1992 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Stereo Wiring Information
    Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
    Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
    Radio Ground Wire: Black
    Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
    Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
    Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
    Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
    Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
    Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
    Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
    Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
    Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
    Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

This is the wiring

For my truck. Hope it helps

8. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

Ya this what my middle brother was telling me he reassured my thinking as he also said id have to put a cubbie hole where the stock radio is .

Thanks For the link & The wiring also . I Buy a lot of my parts from Oreilly's . looks like my radio will have to wait another week or 2 as I metaphorically got sucker punched in the gut w/ an unexpected bill this past Friday & there went my $ for changing out my radio . :gasp: Oh well I can wait another week or 2 but im going nuts I may have to buy me a cheap battery operated radio in the mean time . ;) Thanks yall : Mack