Stock Radio Problems in my 1994 GMC

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 94 Jimmy P/U, Jul 27, 2013.

1. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

Will turn on but will not play & the clock stays @ 1:00. I Do have 2 of the 4 speakers that still work . but no sound what so ever . My question is do have to put the after market radio in place of my cubbie hole (where the tape deck would be) or can I take the stock radio out & get an adapter to put the aftermarket radio in the same spot as the stock radio ? Also any idea of the size of the dash & rear spekers as id like to change them out w/ a new radio . Thanks Yall Mack

2. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You take out the factory radio and install the new radio and a filler plate. I think you also need an antennae adapter. As fro the speakers, the rear are 4x6... The front, I'm not even sure. What I did was I went to best buy, picked out my radio and seakers and then had them install the rest. Couldn't be happier.

- - - Updated - - -

wait, I just processed it is a 94. I'm not sure how the 88-94 interiors are set up as far as the radio goes. I think most people put them in the little cubby thing in the middle and buy a radio delete pocket for the stock location. The rear speakers are the same.

3. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I have seen them done both ways...i think most of them put them in the cubby hole area...but i like it more in the stock radio area...does urs have a tape deck by the glove box also?

4. I installed a Pioneer AM/FM/CD/Mp3 in my 92 Silverado using an install kit and put it where the cassette tape unit was. I then yanked the rest of the stock GM radio components and chucked them. All 4 speakers are 4x6. I installed a cubby hole where the oem radio was...

5. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

Thanks that's what I was thinking also but it seems along reach w/o a remote to the cubbie & was hoping to go back in the stock location but looks like that route may be out
    I have only seen them done in the cubbie hole area next to the glove box . id like to see how 1 was done in the stock location as that is within reach . the cubbie hole area is kinda out of the way w/o a remote for the radio . no tape deck just an am/fm radio .

That's looking the route im going have to go I'll just buy a radio w/ a remote & thanks for the speaker size cause I was thinking 5x7 @ 1st glad I haven't bought any speakers yet . Thanks Yall Mack

6. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've brought this up before for my '89 Silverado. A standard DIN head unit won't fit in the radio spot next to the gauge cluster, it's too small (not wide enough). You have to put a cubby hole next to the gauges and get a radio addition dash piece to put a head unit where the tape deck and equalizer is in the middle of the dash.

I was trying to think of a way to install a Secret Audio stereo system in the stock radio location next to the gauges. The controls mount on a surface, while the amp/receiver unit is remote mounted elsewhere in the dash.

7. O'Reilly aka Kragen/schucks/Checker Auto Parts has everything you need at link below:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Radio+Installation+Kits+%26+Components/C0419/C0107.oap?model=C1500&vi=1031274&year=1992&make=Chevrolet

1992 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Stereo Wiring Information
    Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
    Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
    Radio Ground Wire: Black
    Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
    Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
    Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
    Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
    Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
    Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
    Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
    Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
    Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
    Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

This is the wiring

For my truck. Hope it helps

8. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

Ya this what my middle brother was telling me he reassured my thinking as he also said id have to put a cubbie hole where the stock radio is .

Thanks For the link & The wiring also . I Buy a lot of my parts from Oreilly's . looks like my radio will have to wait another week or 2 as I metaphorically got sucker punched in the gut w/ an unexpected bill this past Friday & there went my $ for changing out my radio . :gasp: Oh well I can wait another week or 2 but im going nuts I may have to buy me a cheap battery operated radio in the mean time . ;) Thanks yall : Mack