GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Stock rims flaking

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by sierra11, Jan 4, 2013.

1. sierra11

sierra11 New Member

Hey guys I'm not sure if ya'll have had this happen, but my rims are starting to flake where the balancing weights get put on. I noticed earlier because I had to get a rim replaced after someone hit me and it made all the others look bad. Is there a way to fix this or am I just stuck with it?
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

Yeah I had a set of factory rims get ruined with those weights as well, now I demand they put them on the backside of the wheel. Are your wheels polished aluminum? If so they are clear coated, and can be professionally recoated and be made to look like new. Basically they resurface the wheel, and re clearcoat it.
  3. sierra11

sierra11 New Member

Yeah they are just polished aluminum. I guess I'll have to see about resurfacing them then and make sure the weights get put on the back. Just curious do you have a ball park idea of how much it would cost?
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

I had a set of the factory 16" HD wheels resurfaced, they charged me $75.00 per wheel and we re clearcoated them ourselves.
  5. sierra11

sierra11 New Member

I'll make sure never to get polished aluminum again and not let them put the weights on the front. I'm not sure it's worth the money to resurface the rims and then have to mount and balance.
  6. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

What you're seeing is filiform corrosion. It will start anywhere there's a break in the finish, and though the wheel weights contribute to it that's usually just the worst spot. Mine look pretty awful at this point.

It's usually over $100 to have a rim reconditioned making it worthwhile to at least consider new rims.
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member

For that money you can have them powder coated and NEVER have to worry about them flaking again
  8. stchman

stchman New Member

Having the weights on the back of the rim only is what the tire shop guys call a static balance and it is not near as good. Having the weights on both sides of the rim gives you a MUCH better balance. I know this because I had a car with the weights on the inside of the rim only and it vibrated badly. After having the weights put on both sides, the vibration went away.

If you don't like the looks of the weights, they can tape weights to the inside of the rim.

- - - Updated - - -

He can also look at Tire Rack. Sometimes they have closeout specials for $100 a rim for brand new.