1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stolen Tailgate - 2007 Silverado Classic

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Canteen Tom, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Canteen Tom

Canteen Tom New Member

My tailgate was stolen last night off of my 07 silverado classic, where do I get another one and how much do they cost? Do you buy them painted or do you have to have that done? Thanks!
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Wow, that sucks. Sorry about that. You can get one straight from the dealer, but you'll pay dealer prices. You could also call around to the different boneyards to find a front-end wrecked 07 classic in your color and get the tailgate for about half price of what you'll pay at the dealer, give or take. I wouldn't want to do it mail-order/internet as it's a big piece and hard/expensive to ship.
  3. old462

old462 New Member

Sorry to hear that, they cost around $250 and up new. But then you'll have the cost of painting unless you go through the dealer for your paint match (which will be more). Best bet is a salvage yard.

Good luck!!!
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Look at a salvage yard and find a local shop to paint if you cant get one the same color.
    I'm sure the dealer will want your first born and conjugal rights with your wife for a replacement.
  5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Doesn't your auto insurance cover theft?
  6. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 New Member

Wow........ sorry to hear that. When I first bought my truck my dad was telling me about this new theft of tailgates being stolen. So we both bought tailgate locks off of ebay. Very easy to install yourself. I bought an OEM standard locking handle that uses the same key for my doors and ignition. I highly recommend this so you don't have this happen again.
  7. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

When i bought my truck it had a Pop Lock tail gate lock. its great never thought i would need one but with the roll up cover down and the tailgate locked its just like having a lockable topper, with i would have thought about this with my last truck some one stole my drop in bed liner :grrrrrr:
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

This begs the question....what are they doing with the tailgates? If someone stole it, then isn't there a taiilgate black market that you could get into? Who knows, it may be cheaper to find that black market and buy back your own tailgate. lol

Sorry, I've had stuff stolen too, it sucks.
  9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I have always put tailgate locks on my tailgates, but I did have a spare tire stolen from underneath my S-10! I bought a 2005 Silverado tailgate two years ago at Norwalk raceway at the swap meet, I couldn't pass it up at $100 painted with all the hardware and everything. I didn't need one but I figured just in case, and no it's not for sale but It was probably someone's stolen tail gate LOL!
  10. chance

chance New Member

Never heard this one before, someone awhile back tried to steal the hood scoop off my car, kinda irritating.

I dont know if you like em but this might be the reason you need to go and get one of those tailgate spare tire mounts.