1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Straight Pipe or Cutouts ???

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Amarr014, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Amarr014

Amarr014 New Member

well its time for an exhaust change and i cant decide between just cutting the exhaust right behind the cats... or (the more pricier option) doing a cutout with an electronic switch
    anybody doing these?
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Depending on which truck it is, on some u need the extra pipe for back press.. or the engine will actually be very low on tourge !!!
  3. Amarr014

Amarr014 New Member

sorry its a 2004 silverado 2500 6.0L
    geared at 5;13.... lots of torque and HP... when i bought it was actually straight piped and cut after the cat but georgia requires an exhaust... im just gonn run a false one so it looks like i have one haha :) with the dual pipes i have already on it
  4. There is nothing I hate more than the noise of straight pipes. Some trucks sound like a machine gun going down the road. It sounds cheap. If you add electric cutouts, get a nice set of headers. The headers will totally change the way any engine sounds for the better.

Check out my old chevy with open headers.
  5. ferg's04

ferg's04 New Member

Personally I would do cutouts so that you can open them when you want to. Sometimes you wanna be a little quiet and others not so much, it will be like having two exhausts and when you get pulled over for being too loud, just hit the switch and tell them they have the wrong truck:lol:
  6. silleffej

silleffej New Member

I agree with daredevil.....I had a buddy with an ford ranger and ran straight pipes and it sounded like a pissed off mosquito. Then another friend had a Z71 5.7 L 350 with straight pipes and he would rattle glass as he went down the road. It was a bunch cooler back when I was young.
  7. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Keep it stock , well i mean a cat back system is fine..other then that i would not change it !!!!