1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Strange jerk at highway speeds

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by just plain dave, Dec 2, 2010.

1. just plain dave

just plain dave New Member

96 GMC Suburban….strange jerk when driving on highway. My daughter’s vehicle had a problem with the check engine light coming on. $1400 later the check engine light problem is solved, however there is now a strange jerk when driving that wasn’t there before. The best description I can come up with is that it feels like someone bumps your rear bumper lightly. The mechanic who fixed the check engine light says it appears to be a transmission problem. The transmission guy he sent my daughter to says he doesn’t think it is a transmission problem. It seems to occur mainly between 40 and 65 mph. The vehicle has 164,000 miles on it. Has anyone had a similar experience that might give us a clue?
    Thanks, JPD
  2. backcountry horsewoman

backcountry horsewoman Rockstar 100 Posts

3. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Might be the torque converter locking and unlocking abruptly. Try shifting out of overdrive to see if the symptoms go away. If so then get the trans checked by someone else. If not then MAYBE have the trans checked out by someone else but take it back to the mechanic and ask him use a scanner that can be used while driving to see if someting might be going on with the computer.
  4. just plain dave

just plain dave New Member

It isn't a 4wd.