1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Strange noise after starting the engine

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by rwmoorh, Jul 7, 2010.

1. rwmoorh

rwmoorh New Member

Excuse me if this should appear twice. I entered this once and when I sent it, it showed me logged out, so I'm trying this again.

I have an 08 Silverado Extended cab LTZ, 5.3L, auto and 4wd, with 22K miles on it. This week it's been very hot with temps in the high 90's to low 100's. Twice this week I have gone out and started the truck after not being used for a day and a few seconds after starting there is a loud pop and then a clattering sound on the passenger side of the engine. The A/C is working OK. At first I thought it might be a stuck starter or the starter trying to re-engage, but yesterday I remotely started it and was standing by the passenger door when it occured and it sounds like it's blowing off pressure.

Anyone have an idea what this might be? I hate taking it into the garage with this little to go on.
  2. trapperdon

trapperdon Rockstar 100 Posts

pull your plugs and clean & regap them, then see if does again...
  3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you’re having with your vehicle. I would encourage you have the vehicle checked out by your local dealership. Depending on when you purchased the vehicle, you may still be covered by the 3 year 36,000 warranty.

Angie - GM Customer Service
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Don't the 2008's have the very long ( 6 years 100,000 miles ) drivetrain warranty?

I don't see how the plugs could cause that noise.Not sure what Trapperdon is getting at.

Dealer sounds like a good bet to me-especially if in warranty.
  5. phroadrick

phroadrick Member

5 YR, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Dealer is your best bet.
  6. trapperdon

trapperdon Rockstar 100 Posts

:neutral: i dont know what i was thinking either... too much crackflakes for breakfast.. :gasp:
    never mind what i had posted before... too many hours working that day confussed me. :sleep:

for some reason i had it in my mind that the pop noise he described was from a fouled & loose plug,
    that it was building up too much pressure in piston cavity & when it detonated it rattled a broken or loose plug.. :neutral: i also was thinking about large amounts of carbon buildup in valves with bent valve... ?

THATS I WHAT I HAD ON MY MIND when i replied....
    disreguard what had written.. i dont know jack sh#t & will admit it on this one