Strange noise under the hood

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jediracer, Jul 6, 2009.

1. jediracer

jediracer Rockstar 100 Posts

I’ve noticed a strange sounds coming from under the hood recently. I’m thinking it has something to do with my A/C. Reason being that is the only time I notice the noise. The noise isn’t constant but it you can hear it about twice a minute on average and it last about 2 seconds. It’s a low metal on metal kind of sound. It kind of sounds like a distant train brakes (anybody know what I’m talking about?).

Any ideas what is maybe?

I have a 2004 Colorado Ext Cab 3.5L.

2. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like the compressor engaging, or trying to. Does the air work? Open the hood and leave the truck run with the air on. Just stand there and watch, if its the compressor you should know right away.

3. werty

werty Rockstar 100 Posts

:neutral:probally have to aagree with the compressor.maybe bearings are gone so when it cycles it sounds like a train grinidng to a halt

4. jediracer

jediracer Rockstar 100 Posts

The air works, it gets pretty cold. I'll run it tonight with the hood up and post my findings.

Thanks!

5. willbradfan

willbradfan Rockstar 100 Posts

I just replaced mine and it was making the exact same noise you are describing and it ended up being the compressors clutch was starting to seize up every time i turned on the a/c.

6. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I dont know a whole lot about the AC system, but if it's your compressor, it's probobly just the clutch.

7. hmaster77

hmaster77 Rockstar

i would check out the ac clutch