1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Strange Problem with '03 Yukon XL

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by DvlRacer, Jan 19, 2011.

1. DvlRacer

DvlRacer New Member

I have a 2003 GMC Yukon XL 4x4 with the 5.3L Flex Fuel motor. 3 weeks ago it was throwing lean codes for both banks so I took it in and had the intake gaskets replaced(old ones looked like ****). Just yesterday when I fired it up the battery light came on and the dash read "Battery Not Charging" then right after it said "Service Brake Booster". I took it to an O'reilly's and they said the battery is fine but the alternator is only putting out 11 amps. Could a bad alternator cause both those issues? I understand that electrical problems like alternator/battery can cause all types of codes but there was a noticeable vibration in the brake pedal after the "Service Brake Booster" warning came up. Another issue, now that I'm alternator shopping every site I pull up is showing 105 and 145 amp alternators for my vehicle saying both will fit. I contacted a couple GM dealership parts departments (in Hawaii since they're the only ones open this late) and had 2 tell me to get the 145 and 1 said the 105 is the standard one. My local Advance Auto can get me the 105 amp for $89.99 tomorrow but can't get the 145 amp one for 4 days and it's $149.99. Could I get away with the 105 amp or does the truck call for a 145? I can't find anything online that helps me. Thanks!!
  2. TexasEdition

TexasEdition Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I believe the 105 amp is the usual standard for 2003-2004 and yes, it could cause those types of problems. See what the part # and amps are on your current alternator. There is usually a label on the alt that shows it. You could also compare the 105 and 145 amp alts at O'reilly to see if the casings are the same. I think they are. I've had 2001's, 2003's, 2005's, 2009's and 2010's....after a while they all run together (at least in my pea brain) so I may be confused as I am working from memory here.