Stressing out!Need reassurance

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Z-71, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I did something really dumb today.Last time I drove my truck I forgot and left it in 4hi and today I drove it about 8 miles to the store on totally dry pavement.I didn't notice anything was wrong until I turned into the parking lot the wheel was a little tight,Then pulling into the parking space it got tighter and felt like I had to give the truck more gas to move.I thought the power steering pump went out but when I went to leave the store it got even tighter and halfway into a turn I noticed it was in 4hi so I stopped right there and hit the 2hi button...The truck jumped a little and drove fine after that.I tried 4hi on a dirt road near my house and it seems fine.Am I alright or did I just damage my truck?

2. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Well, I have done that but realized it a bit earlier than 8 miles. I'm guessing you didn't hear any pops/ grinding? Does it still go in to 4hi? I think you will be fine!
    Too bad the DIC (Driver Info Center) doesn't flash, Are You Sure You Want To Be In 4HI?

Don't Worry! Try it when you have a chance just to be sure.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've done something similar, too. I had no ill effects. Based on that anecdotal experience I suspect you'll be fine...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I didn't hear any popping or grinding but my stereo was cranked...Everything felt fine until I got to the store.And when I got home it did go into 4 wheel and drive.So I guess nothing broke.Do you guys think anything was weakened though?Thanks

5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

should be just fine. driving on dry pavement in 4wd is fine (as far as not hurting anything). its the sharper turns on dry pavement that will cause it to bind which then can lead to damage. I will stick mine in 4hi sometimes (about 1 a month or every other) for a couple miles if I know its pretty much all straight (bends in the road but no 90 degree turns) in order to make sure that everything in the front is working and getting lubed as they can go bad if you never use them. and unfortunately I do not get to use it much living in San Diego now.

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I do the same ... for the same reasons.

7. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Okay,Thanks guys I feel a little better.It did bind up pretty bad in the parking lot but it goes into 4-hi and works so I guess I am okay.Thanks again

8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i forget the number, but if you keep it under a certan speed, 4 Hi is actually ok on pavement for short periods (>10 miles) i know i ve done it once or twice, just dont make any super sharp corners and your usually fine.

did it for almost 10 miles in a ford one time, and no ill effects. (under 45 the whole time tho, pulling a ag wagon.)

Alex

9. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

Your completely fine the reason it got hard was because you have a rear locker. If it was an open diff it would of been harder to turn but not as hard with the locker.

10. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

No worries man these are Chevy tough. As others have said , like your A/c you need to use them or lose them.