Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stripped diff locker gears

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by weswins, Nov 1, 2010.

1. weswins

weswins New Member

I have a 9.5" 14 bolt differential with an Eatons G80 positrac and the gears that spin the clutch aer stripped.

How do I fix this and where do I get parts? It is 16 years old and has 300,00+kms so needles to say this was no surprise to me when I pulled the inspection plate.

Should I go the the junkers and pick up another rear axle and rebuild the whole thing and then swap?

Any help would be super awesome
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would replace it with a Tru Trac
  3. weswins

weswins New Member

I was kind of thinkinmg of going with a Tru Trac in the front axle and swapping the rear to an ARB air locker. How would that be for a DD? But for costs sake, I was thinking of going to the junkers and picking up another Z71 rear axle and rebuilding the entire thing with the proper off road goodies (ARB locker, disc brakes, 3.73 gears)
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I definitely vote for the air locker! Those are great and should be fine for DD. Also if it were me I'd look around and see what kind of packages are out there as far as rear axles and the prices on them. Less work and you may get yourself a better rear axle.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are you running the stock IFS? I don't think they even make a Tru Trac for that, and a locker would be interesting with a CAD.

E-lockers are available for later IFS carriers.