stuck in 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by mailman, Jan 6, 2008.

1. mailman

mailman New Member

I am looking at buying a 1984 Jimmy that the owner says is stuck in 4x4. Is this a big deal to fix? Thanks

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What's the overall configuration of the Blazer? In terms of miles, engine/tranny, tires, etc. I have seen trucks get "stuck" in 4WD for several different reasons. They have been as simple as a loose bolt going into the transfer case, upwards of more serious issues that are costly.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Stuck how? Is it the shifter wont come out of 4x4 or the front hubs wont unlock or the dash light is telling you it's in 4x4?
    That particular model transfer case has a bad habit of getting stuck in high range. The two most common reasons are loose linkage on the transfer case and worn shifter forks.
    Front hub problems (auto or manual) can usually be resolved by dissasembly, inspection, and repack with grease.
    Finally theres a few vacuum modules on the T-case and front axle that can go bad and prevent the front axle sleeves from shifting out.

4. mailman

mailman New Member

Thanks for your replies, but it was sold before I could get a hold of the guy again.

5. John W

John W Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't know if it's the same problem but my 85 Blazer had a vacuum switch on the transfer case that would go bad. Not too expensive if it's that.