1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

stuck like chuck 03 tahoe electrical seat problems

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by ckrac1937, May 11, 2013.

1. ckrac1937

ckrac1937 New Member

I have a 2003 Tahoe. My lovely wife has left the windows down and sunroof open, several times. During this time of "airing" it out....we had HEAVY rain. Once she dried it out, the drivers seat has only intermitent power. The lumbar and side back supports are stuck full. The seat goes forward a little but not back. Seat heaters on both seats don't work. If anyone out that has any ideas, they are welcome. Not to mention now the darn head liner is starting to fall because of the water damage in the roof.....
  2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. I never had to go through this before so I really don't know what to tell you but I am sure someone on here has and will be along soon to help you out. :glasses:
  3. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Welcome to The Club. Good luck with your problem.
  4. ckrac1937

ckrac1937 New Member

Hey Thanks! This has been a bother for quite a while that we have just been putting off. Even occasionally, the controls on the door work in the opposite direction. Push the joystick forward, seat goes backward.....etc.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Usually the problem is in the door controls and not in the seat (you would not get enough water into the seat mech to cause the problem).

I hate having the doors open during a rain, I get in as fast as I can and get the door shut.

At one time, all motor current went through the switches, the door switches being on the arm rest are very pone to being soaked and water with the high current burns the switch contacts. The trucks with Body Control Modules use the switches as input devices and the current is much smaller; however, the switch contact metal is also much smaller and the switches can oxidize. Spraying some contact cleaner may help.

Your last post kind of tells it all, sounds like the switch is going south.
  6. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
  7. ckrac1937

ckrac1937 New Member

a little more about the seat....

So then I guess my question is, could it be the seat and the controls on the left side by the door? Or, could it be shorted out in the door controls? I looked under the seat, but could not raise it enough to really get under there and check the wiring. Someone told me (not in the forum) that I would most likely have to replace the whole seat.
  8. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club! I would do what RayVoy recommended and check the switch contacts first. That would be your easiest and least expensive starting point. You shouldn't have to replace the whole seat, because only the electric track and the module that controls the seat heater would need it, and a full seat with leather and all would probably be over $1000. The drivers door module is a multipurpose control though, it does mirror, windows, locks, memory, seat heat, etc. so I'd check that first.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I was using the door switches as just one example, for the contacts that are in them. The contacts in the seat switches, on the side of the seat are also a probably area. What I was trying to say, was that most likely the switches are bad and not the seat wiring.
  10. ckrac1937

ckrac1937 New Member

I cleaned the contacts on the seat controls and in the door controls. The situation now is that the seat only goes about 1/3 of the way backwards from the forward position and the baffles in the lumbar and side support things are stuck in the full position. You can hear the motor making noise but nothing happens. No noise is made in the backward position. Once it goes as far as it is wanting to, it just stops.