Stud Removal tool? does it exsist and if so where do i get myself one?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by murdog94, Mar 6, 2011.

  1. murdog94

    murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

    I just had to replace the exhaust manifold on my truck. And i now need to do the other side, and was wondering if any of you had ever heard of a stud removal tool? Something that slips over the stud and turns out with a rachet. Reason im asking is using a Vise grip is a PITA, and something that allows me to work faster and easier is always a welcome addition to my tool box.
    So as i said wondering if any of you have seen or where to get one.
  2. stephan

    stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

    Yes Snap-On used to make them. They look like a large socket with 3 little gears inside them. You slip it over the studs & as you turn it out the gears grab the stud & you just spin it out with a ratchet. They were quite expensive a few years ago so are probably out of sight now. I have found that double nutting the studs works good if they aren't seized too bad where WD-40 or some heat won't free them up.
  3. murdog94

    murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

    See my current problem is the 4.6L ford motor has aluminum heads and steel studs, and the ends are in very poor shape so getting a nut started after i have removed the manifold is impossilbe, and not possible to get a nut on at all with the manifold in place due to the damage to the stud. So that is why im wondering if they stull exsist since working with vise grip 1/8 of a turn at a time is a PITA..
  4. stephan

    stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

    ok I understand why double nutting won't work. Snap On made them as recently as 5 or 6 years ago & they are called a "stud removal tool" or socket. The main reason I didn't buy one is because they are a little bulky (in the diameter dimension) & there was limited side space where I was working.
    Mac, Cornwall, & the other big companies probably make them too if you don't like Snap Ons prices :)
  5. pmf608

    pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    I know the shop at my school have a few of them that have been purchased from NAPA. They work most of the time if you have enough space, but once the texture starts to wear out, they dont work at all, so I would just keep that factor in mind depending on the price if you find one.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

    silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

    SnapOn still has the tool. Go to SnapOn tools .com to see it.
  7. murdog94

    murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

    Thanks guys, and i only need to remove 8 more studs, and really wont have much use for it after that other than to have on hand when i do need them. So i guess time to get ordering.
  8. 2COR517

    2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    There are a couple options out there. If you go to AutoZone and ask for the Commercial Tool Catalog, they are in there somewhere. I don't have one here, I'll try to remember to get a page number for you.

    The best tool for what you are doing is a MIG welder. Weld on a nut, zip the studs out.

    DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

    You can them a little cheaper at e-bay.....just say'n...OH AND THEY ARE SNAP ON ..most of them !
  10. murdog94

    murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

    I dont have a welder at my disposal otherwise i would be using that method to begin with. not to mention with 260K miles of corrosion i kinda need to be gentle.

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos