1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Studded snow tires for Traverse AWD

Discussion in 'Chevy Traverse Forum (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave)' started by tractorbill, Oct 21, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. tractorbill

tractorbill New Member

Having a hard time finding studded snow tires for my wife's 2010 Traverse AWD. Has anybody come across anything in the 18" size? Thanks
  2. redvett

redvett Member

Why would you need studded tires with AWD? Even if you get them they are a seasonal tire and not allowed in summer. New York - Oct 16 - Apr 30

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

^x2 not to mention they are illegal in alot of states...
  4. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

And states that will let you run studs have to have on all four wheels.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree. I don't understand why you would need studded tires on an AWD vehicle. We get a lot of snow where I live. I drove around in a 2wd silverado with no weight in the back, on ms tires, never had an issue in over 10 inches of snow. My wifes front wheel drive torrent has made it thru more than a foot and a half of snow and ice with no issue, that was with the stock tires.
  6. jinsei

jinsei New Member

I don’t’ have an AWD yet but I think it’s general knowledge that a lot of states don’t allow studded snow tires.

As for experience with snow, my pal who have an AWD also didn’t have problems with his tires even on snowy road conditions.
  7. yuuki

yuuki New Member

The reason why you’re having a hard time finding them is because they’re not recommended for use especially in your state. It’s even difficult to find those tire types in our location and we also get a lot of snow here.
  8. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Just bought a set in Wenatchee Wa. $700.00!
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, I was about to chime in on this. I grew up in Idaho and Washington State ... believe me, there are time and places that people go where studded tires are ok and in fact recommended. There are some mountain passes that are Snow Chain / Studded Tires REQUIRED. Granted, if you show up in a hopped up snow beast they'll let you pass, but they're making a point. If you're in a place that's below zero for 4 months solid and up about 5,000 feet or more ... you'll want an awesome AWD system.

NOW, that being said, most of the AWD systems will computer-aid the driver to be able to handle a lot of power where you need it.