Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Student's fuel efficiency question! Which truck for me?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by PondWarrior, Aug 28, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Some of us do the exact same math you do ... and do realize it! We can buy a metric ****-ton of fuel and still spend less than people spend on the green autos plus fuel. :)

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

My car cost 4,500 about to buy. Since buying it its only driven about 4,000 miles because it only drives quick city stints. My truck gets about 12MPG city & 19+MPG hwy, I only put gas in it either 20-40 dollars at a time and it gets me through a week or week and a half. A full tank can last me about 3 weeks or so. Sadly on repair expenses its has cost almost its price it was bought for. Its easier to own a truck and cheaper on gas if your not driving all the time. Also my truck is just more useful and helps me earn money by working hard and hauling :glasses:

3. SurrealOne

Buying a used truck, doing repairs, making mods, and paying for fuel ... I'm STILL in for far, far less than a new truck ... and I'm not pissing money away in interest on a loan. Plus I can actually tinker on it without warranty worries!

4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Really? I must be the exception to the rule..... Everything will break at some point in its life and there is a balance between 20k in parts over 10 years, or just get the new truck.

5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What about a 5.3 Colorado? That might get you better mileage. Especially with a Econ tune.

6. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I haven't seen a new truck for $20,000.00 since I was a teenager... unless it was a totally stripped down 2 wheel drive Ford Ranger. In fact, my 14 year old truck sold for $22,900 originally. Do you know what I could do to my truck for 20 grand? It could be a brand new truck again... Less the odometer!

7. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I do. It's why my commuter car is a 1995 honda civic, paid for since 2000. I get 35MPG in the thing, and it costs me insurance, and about $200/year in various repairs. Not everyone can do two cars though, but it's not uncommon for folks driving 3K miles a month to actually break even in terms of actual costs if they go buy a cheap Kia as a commuter. And then, you're better than breaking even, because you're NOT putting miles on the truck. At the end of 5 years, you've broken even $$ wise on the car, and your truck has 40K miles less on it. Win -win.

Math is hard for some people, though. Oddly, it's especially hard for Prius owners. *Cracks up* I read a study that showed the original full sized Hummer has a smaller carbon footprint than the Toyota Prius (legit). The hummer is designed to run 300K miles. The Prius 100K miles. Over the actual lifespan of the vehicle, the Hummer wins every time. Why? Have you SEEN what they have to do to the environment (carbon footprint) to make those blasted Lithium batteries! Lithium is incredibly toxic. There's like a 5 mile dead zone around the plants. Nasty stuff.

Love me some common sense. On the flipside, the Prius isn't a bad car, just don't pretend it's something it's not. a 42MPG modern gasser is better on the environment than a 42MPG hybrid. Just sayin'.

-Jerry

8. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

It's not just math (or money). It's about available knowledge. People don't know anything about what it takes to actually mass produce a car, and completely ignore what goes on in the background, only paying attention to what they see on the lot at the Toyota dealer.

The batteries aren't Lithium Ion, in the Prius. They're Nickel Cadmium. Unless that changed very recently because they ran out of nickel after digging it up in Canada. And while Lithium is toxic, it's really not related to carbon footprint at all (since it's not a hydrocarbon gas burning off into the atmosphere itself). The carbon footprint is more related to all of the travel of various parts all around the world that it takes to put a Prius together.

That said, a Prius is a waste of money. You're better off getting a used Honda or VW for cheap, which gets 35-50 MPG on gas or diesel.

9. SurrealOne

I keep wanting a used Civic but I only like the 2008 and newer SI's, lol -- and I'm not paying for it. There's a piece of me that kinda wants a Smart Car just so I can do this with it, for laughs:

534.jpg

... and then I come back to reality.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  10. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

LOL, you almost scared me for a moment so I had to double check:

http://www.hendrickchevrolet.com/in...RK_TRUCK_REGULAR_CAB_SWB-Cary-NC-30441011.htm

[TABLE="class: carspec, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]SWB[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"][TABLE="width: 95%"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 55%, align: left"]Equipment[/TD]
    [TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Specifications[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 50%"][TABLE="class: equipmentsdetails, width: 94%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]* Please verify with dealer for final list of equipment.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]4-Wheel ABS[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Traction Control[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vehicle Stability Control System[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Driver Airbag[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Front Side Airbag[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Passenger Airbag[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Air Conditioning[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Cruise Control[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Tachometer[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Full package details >[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: sepline, width: 5%"][/TD]
    [TD="width: 45%"][TABLE="class: equipmentsdetails, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Trim: WORK TRUCK REGULAR CAB SWB[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Body: PICKUP[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Engine: 4.3L V6 Cylinder Engine[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Engine Cylinders: V6[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Engine Displacement: 4.3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]VIN: 1GCNCPEX3CZ352629[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

1. 4-Wheel ABS
    2. Traction Control
    3. Vehicle Stability Control System
    4. Driver Airbag
    5. Front Side Airbag
    6. Passenger Airbag
    7. Air Conditioning
    8. Cruise Control
    9. Tachometer
    10. Tilt Steering
    11. Tilt Steering Column
    12. Steering Wheel Mounted Controls
    13. Tire Pressure Monitor
    14. AM/FM Radio
    15. Voice Activated Telephone
    16. Front Split Bench Seat
    17. Automatic Headlights
    18. Daytime Running Lights
    19. Full Size Spare Tire
    20. Steel Wheels
    21. Interval Wipers
    22. Tow Hitch Receiver
    23. Towing Preparation Package

MSRP : $23,190 Hendrick Price $19,715

Now most of us when buying a new truck, do not get the base model, but yes, you can get a 2012 1500 regular cab, 4x2 short bed for actually less than 20k.

They have something like 12 of them in stock right now. And this is a full size pickup. (now I would not load the bed down with any weight or tow anything more than a motorcycle with it) :) You might need to replace the transmission after a week.

But I would expect to get more than 183,000 miles out of a 4L60E on a 5.3L Silverado with the towing package. To have to have the tranny rebuilt at 183,000 makes me feel like hummmm, I could have got more life out of towing with an Impala.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012