1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stupid Question Time...

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by nottmbantam, Dec 7, 2012.

1. nottmbantam

nottmbantam Member 1 Year 100 Posts

What is the difference between a Chevvy and a GMC Suburban? ( apart from the badges and the steering wheel emblem )

I've been looking at buying a 1995 / 96 GMC as opposed to Chevvy, don't know why really, just like the idea of a GMC as I think they tend to have a slightly superior reputation - that is not based on anything other than my own subjectivity so quite happy to be proven wrong.

I put a wanted ad out as I was struggling to find a decent quality one that wasn't over priced. Had an email from a prospective seller who has a 95 Chevvy K2500 for sale - what are the main differences between the two if any? The only ones I can noticeably spot ( from looking at online pics ) are :

* GMC tend to go for two tone paint work for that year whereas Chevvy tend to do one colour.
    * Interior - front bench - seems to be slightly different, with a bigger centre console on the Chevvy.

I'm assuming everything else is pretty much identical? Cheers.
  2. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hi, There are no major differences. Buy the one that you can get the best deal on. 95 had throttle body injection and 96 was first year for Vortec.
  3. nottmbantam

nottmbantam Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Cheers, that's what I was hoping to hear.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If I had a choice, I would go with a 96 or newer. I like the vortec motor
  5. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Like they said above, other then cosmetic differences (grille and badges), the trucks are identical. They're even built on the same assembly line. I'd definitely look for a 96 or newer with the Vortec 350. The Vortec made 45 more horse power and 30 lb ft of torque over the older TBI engines, and a heavy Suburban needs all the power it can get.
  6. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

See, now I would have advised you to get a '95. It has the nice plastic mirrors and newer grille found on the '94, but also has the newer interior minus the passenger airbag and is NOT OBDII!
  7. Pikey

I did not even think about the passenger air bag. I do like the dash of the 95 more due to not having the air bag. That being said, the power the vortec has me sells me on the 96. My sister had a 96 tahoe with the vortec and same gear ratio of my 1995 truck. That thing would smoke my truck off the line and got better mpg. The OBDII has more custom tuning options then the OBDI. With obdI you only have the choice of a chip. I also had issues with obd I when it came to changing tire size. Not a lot of companies make the VSSB module/chip needed to correct the speedo and trans shift points when installing a larger tire. With OBDII you can simply change it with a programmer.
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The 96 didn't have a pass air bag and gets better mpg, has easier diagnostics, have the amazingly powerful Vortec 5.7L, and is related to the 1996 Truck of the Year: Tahoe.
  9. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I modified my speed module with dip switches. I can set the speedo for almost any tire size now by flipping a couple of switches inside the module.

I forget that we are not all in NC, and so inspection laws don't apply to all of us. I chose a V6/5 Speed '95 so I could put whatever engine I wanted in and still pass my state's inspection. I am eyeballing a small block 400 to punch out to a 427... Power issues solved! Heh heh...

I have also considered dropping a 454 in... Just waiting on the right donor vehicle at the right price on CL... It will come!
  10. Pikey

I stand corrected Mr.Rose. I was thinking of my parents 97 tahoe