1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

STUPID! Ran out of fluids

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MauryFrench, Jul 4, 2013.

1. MauryFrench

MauryFrench Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I appear to have run out of water and oil on the same drive. Wife driving actually, but my bad for not checking fluids. Anyway, got oil into it and the pressure has climbed back and the clack is gone. I think I have that okay. The water was unbelievably low; and the temperature gauge quit working.

So, hopefully everything will be okay. Questions,

1) Just a temperature sending unit for the temperature gauge?
    2) Could running super low on water cause the engine to get so hot it boils the oil out? I haven't had any oil level issues for a while now. I really don't believe that to be the case and am offering myself up for laughter fodder, but just wanted to ask.

Thanks. Feel free to call me stupid. I deserve it this time.

Maury
  2. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Hah....I wouldn't worry too much...we all do stupid things.....just ask my wife....lol...also, imnot sure about oil boiling.....think it just gets thick and turns to gel...Brianfrom Canada
  3. MauryFrench

Thanks, Brian.

New question. Where is the temperature sending unit on the 1995 5.7 V8? Yea another thing my Haynes Repair Manual neglected to discuss.

Why does my truck always need things that Haynes doesn't think it will need?

- - - Updated - - -

Update; now that the truck has cooled, water is pouring out of the lower radiator hose up where it is connected to the water pump. I sure hope its the hose!
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On the 5.7L, the temperature sending unit that drives the gauge should be on the driver side head near the exhaust manifold. There should also be a second sensor that drives the computer on the front of the intake.
  5. MauryFrench

Okay, water was not pouring out of the hose that I replaced, it's coming from the weephole on the Water Pump. So, I plan to take it to my mechanic so he can change the water pump. I can do it, but I would just as soon he check it out first and make sure I didn't damage the engine beyond repair. He is about 4 miles away; I wonder if I can drive it that far with a faulty water pump without it overheating again. I suspect not and I should have it towed. Thoughts?

Another general question. Wife's car, not a Chevy but I like you guys better, is getting hotter than it should. It was having overheating issues last week and a radiator cap seems to have fixed 90 percent of the problem. We are however running pretty much straight water. Doe the antifreeze/coolant really help keep the temperature down?

Thanks,
    Maury
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

4 miles should be ok. Coolant/anti-freeze is not going to help keep it cooler. It does have lubricating properties for the water pump that straight water does not have. I think that her car may need a thermostat.
  7. MauryFrench

Thanks Pikey. Now, would anyone like to argue with him on the thermostat? Which is in the bottom radiator hose on her Xterra? Which I have already purchased but do not want to change? I try and look for answers that tell me what I want, not the truth. :happy:

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, thermostats are fascinating things. They can freeze shut completely and cause a car to overheat; they can freeze open and your heater takes forever to warm up, or it can be finicky like the one in the wife's car causing it to get hotter than normal but then cool back down again. It's like you can see when the valve opens because the needle drops back down.

I fear I will be changing it this week. Now to hope I didn't burn up the engine in the truck. It starts okay and has oil pressure; but what other damage could we have done. Gonna let my mechanic figure that out.