1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stupid seat!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by nicktoney, Aug 19, 2009.

1. nicktoney

nicktoney New Member

So im new to the forum and ive been having a problem. my drivers seat would randomly work. at times, the switch would not work for weeks and suddenly it works. well recently i was cleaning and moved the seat all the way forward (random working time). now guess what. the seat wont move. the lumbar works. the heated seat works. the passenger seat works. the only thing not working is the up, down, forward and backward on the driver seat. it has the memory on the door and still doesnt work. any ideas? ive reached under and tried to wiggle every wire but nothing??? fuses are good.. any ideas/help??? thanks

specs:
    2001 yukon slt
    heated power leather seats w/ memory on door

thanks!
  2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

sounds like the electric motor is on the fritz, but I'm no expert either.
  3. nicktoney

nicktoney New Member

i thought that it used two motors, one for the seat back and one to move it forward and back? it doesnt even recline?
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Its probably the connection between the seat and the harness coming up through the floor. Mine gives me trouble occasionally. It's also possible the switch is bad. My lumbar always works, the seat is intermittent.
  5. nicktoney

nicktoney New Member

yeh thats how mine is... well today on lunch break i went out and pulled the bottom cusion up on the seat. took the "module" out that has the power harness coming to it. took it apart. using a testlight i was checking to see which parts got power. ding. light lit up and started moving the seat back. used different posts on the circuit board until i got my seat where i need it. does that sound like the ground to the circuit board is bad?
  6. moosetags

moosetags New Member 100 Posts

Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

The driver seat on my 2005 Yuk XL went wacky about a year ago, and would randomly move forward by itself. Then the back and forth switch reversed itself. When I would try to move the seat forward with the switch, it would go back, and vise versa. It took it to the GMC Dealer. They reprogramed my seat control unit, and it has not happened since.
  7. nicktoney

nicktoney New Member

well i was just testing things and checked the continuity (sp) of the ground to the circuit board. turns out the ground wasnt grounding. i traced it back a little to where some shrink wrap was (another wire joined this ground) and unwrapped/rewrapped it. now i have power all around! thanks for the help... hope this solves some other peoples problems