1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sub problem - one sucks in the other pushes out?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Fear58, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Fear58

Fear58 New Member

Wassup guys...
    So I've recently isntalled a 2000watt American legacy amp in my 96 2 door tahoe (**** brand, I know... but it was in my budget), and I'm having some weird problems. I threw them in a regular sealed box I bought at a local audio place for $50, so nothing special. When ever the bass hits on the speaker, one 12" CVR kicker pushes out (like it normally should) and the other "sucks inwards". Theyre both in sync, just one pushes out and the other sucks in! I have no clue why this is, but I know it cant be good. I'm new to car audio in general and I know the bass can hit harder than it is.

Also, the rear panel of the amp has an HPF,LPF, bassboost, and gain knobs. each one is clockwise to turn. Which settings should these primarily be on?

I know the description of the amp was pretty vague, but if you need any more info on it I would be glad to look behind it, take a picture, or tell you. Like I said, pretty new to this all but I know I'm not getting the bass I should.

Thanks in advance
  2. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

voltage is opposite on the one making it opporate in reverse
  3. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

sounds to me like you got a bad box? are the 2 speakers sepperated in the box by a piece of wood? if so i would take on the subs out and run it and see if air leaks in the other side thats my guess ... i could be wrong that and how do you have them wired... im sure some one here has dealt with this problem
  4. Fear58

Fear58 New Member

How do I fix the voltage thing?
    The box doesn't have a piece of wood in the middle. As far as I know it could have been very well cheaply made, I mean I payed $50 for it lol but it looks decent. and I believe I wired it up in series because the parallel wire job would have dropped it to 2 ohms, and the amp I believe is rated for 4 ohm max
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

switch pos and neg wires around, idk if it will help, but im thinking as a electric motor, so it might be worth a try
  6. starsilverado

starsilverado Rockstar 100 Posts

Reverse the polarity on one . Switch the wires around.
  7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

^^^x3 you got some wires mixed up!!
  8. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave Rockstar

reverse polarity the one that is "sucking" in needs to have the pos and neg switched because it is outta phase....
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

ditto... as an aside, I thought subs were supposed to fire "in" to the speaker basket, not out away from it. However to the original poster, one of your subs are definitely out of phase.