1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Subdually help

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by MLITCH, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MLITCH

MLITCH New Member

I just scored a pair of 87 dually fenders and want to put em on my 89 burb. Has anyone out there done this? How much glass work can i expect to attempt? It appears as though i am gunna need to shorten them a lil and re-position the gas filler door... Any help would be greatly appreciated..ps im lookin for a set of dually wheels for her...
  2. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't know if a member has done this or not! I think it will look sharp to do something like that! I hope you can get some great feedback on this! Good luck, and keep us posted on how things go!:glasses:
  3. BluBurb89

BluBurb89 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey!
    I had the same idea but after talking to a few of the old heads on this site I put it on the back burner for a while. At the time my main deal breaker was that I wanted to keep the 1/2 ton 15" 5x5 axle and i couldn't find wheels or spacers to accommodate the application at the time. What axle do you have? Since then, last year, I've found a way to give me the quasi-dually look without all headaches.
    Ted
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A friend of mine in NJ had one. There was a Co in Cali called Pacific Auto Acc's that made them for the Sub's.. Not sure if they are still around. They also made a step called the Smart step system for SUV's..
  5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A few of us have discussed this in the past, but to my knowledge only one has actually done it on this board. If anyone else has they haven't really mentioned it.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6796

I think we can all agree that we'd love to see pics of before, after and possibly some as the project progresses. Keep us posted
  6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I have seen suburbans with this completed. Not the process it took to do it. I know that they were running 8lug rims. Good luck with the project that would make the ultimate tow rig.
  7. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you're just looking to do a dually then you only need the spacers.
    [​IMG]

http://www.arrowcraft.com

If you're looking to go to a 1 ton suspension you're going to need the proper axle and leafs.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  8. akgrown

akgrown New Member

big project

just the work involved moving the fuel door can be a nightmare. U might just look into getting a fuel cell and starting over. In my burb the relocation of the tank has kept me from using my original filler neck and door. But that is cause i had to tuck it up just a bit :lol:

Good luck hope to see some pics of it.

Attached Files:

9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

For clarity If i want to go dually mostly for looks and a bit more trailer control. Can i still keep my stock 6lug rims??
    Im asking because i found a SCREAMING deal on a mint condition dually box. ($150 and even the same color)
    Anyhow... I wanna see pics of your build.. I still think that if i didnt need the bed of my pickup I would be all over a Suburban and do something similar.
  10. MLITCH

MLITCH New Member

I talked to a couple of guys today, none of which have actually done it....but they said I could simply cut whatever the overhang is out of the middle of the ffenders and re-glass them back together. As for the filler...based on the fact I am plannin on raising her I think I could just re-reoute the filler tube to the rear of the tire(inside of the wheel well). I will keep y'all informed. Hopefully, time permitting I will get this goin this weekend. I already bought the fenders...and am lookin at a set of used wheels tomorrow.