1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Suburban 6.5L Turbo Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by SweSuburban, Feb 13, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. SweSuburban

SweSuburban New Member

Hi !
    I´ve just bought my Chevrolet Suburban -1997 Turbo diesel , and I can´t get the turbo to charge , only when i pull the westgate tube .
    I´ve bought a new " cellunoid " ? and replaced it , still it won´t charge .. I´ve also checked the vakuum tubes and they seems to be fine.

Also when I drive the 4L / 4H and the 2L / 2H switches keep blinking and it makes a wierd noise from the front wheels.

Does anyone have any idea of what the problems can be ??

Sorry for my bad english.

/ Dennis
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member 100 Posts

did you check to see how much vacuum the vac pump makes? It's a common problem for the vac pumps to fail.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I second that..
    As to the 4wd problem, the noise and flashing lights indicate there is a problem. with the 4wd solendoids, i would disconnect the front axle solenoid to see if the lights quit flashing. if so then there is a short either in the switch, the wiring, or the solenoid in the front. (usually it is the solenoid)
  4. SweSuburban

SweSuburban New Member

Thanks for the tips , im going to check it out as soon as i get to the garage !.
  5. SuperSport01

SuperSport01 New Member

I would delete the vaccum pump and boost solenoid, and install a Heath turbo master wastegate controller.
  6. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member 100 Posts

When working properly the factory system is much better.
  7. SuperSport01

SuperSport01 New Member

^That may be true for some but it works fine for me. I like the fact that I'll never have to install another vacuum pump or boost solenoid.
  8. SweSuburban

SweSuburban New Member

I rather not get new parts as I live in sweden and parts for USA cars are hard to get, And if u somehow find what your looking for it´ll be doubled the price as it would cost in usa. I got a price from mekonomen ( our local part shop ) on a 5" lift kit , and that would´ve cost about 3200$ for my suburban if I done the work my self. I don´t know how much it would´ve cost to import tho, Does anyone have any idea what the price would be in usa ?.

As regarding the turbo , the vacuum should be enough .
    If i pull off the westgate tube isn´t the turbo supposed to get full charge ?
    Anyone who has more ideas of how I could get it to charge ?
    Maybe the westgate is broken ?
    Also I had a thought about the "rods" inside the turbo might be broken so the gate won´t open / close ?

/ Happy for answer

Dennis
  9. SweSuburban

SweSuburban New Member

Got it fixed !
    There were holes in the front exhaust, so i welded it and now it runs fine.
    Thanks for all the answers tho !