Suburban 6.5L Turbo Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by SweSuburban, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SweSuburban

SweSuburban New Member

Hi !
    I´ve just bought my Chevrolet Suburban -1997 Turbo diesel , and I can´t get the turbo to charge , only when i pull the westgate tube .
    I´ve bought a new " cellunoid " ? and replaced it , still it won´t charge .. I´ve also checked the vakuum tubes and they seems to be fine.

Also when I drive the 4L / 4H and the 2L / 2H switches keep blinking and it makes a wierd noise from the front wheels.

Does anyone have any idea of what the problems can be ??

Sorry for my bad english.

/ Dennis

2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

did you check to see how much vacuum the vac pump makes? It's a common problem for the vac pumps to fail.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I second that..
    As to the 4wd problem, the noise and flashing lights indicate there is a problem. with the 4wd solendoids, i would disconnect the front axle solenoid to see if the lights quit flashing. if so then there is a short either in the switch, the wiring, or the solenoid in the front. (usually it is the solenoid)

4. SweSuburban

SweSuburban New Member

Thanks for the tips , im going to check it out as soon as i get to the garage !.

5. SuperSport01

SuperSport01 New Member

I would delete the vaccum pump and boost solenoid, and install a Heath turbo master wastegate controller.

6. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

When working properly the factory system is much better.

7. SuperSport01

SuperSport01 New Member

^That may be true for some but it works fine for me. I like the fact that I'll never have to install another vacuum pump or boost solenoid.

8. SweSuburban

SweSuburban New Member

I rather not get new parts as I live in sweden and parts for USA cars are hard to get, And if u somehow find what your looking for it´ll be doubled the price as it would cost in usa. I got a price from mekonomen ( our local part shop ) on a 5" lift kit , and that would´ve cost about 3200$ for my suburban if I done the work my self. I don´t know how much it would´ve cost to import tho, Does anyone have any idea what the price would be in usa ?.

As regarding the turbo , the vacuum should be enough .
    If i pull off the westgate tube isn´t the turbo supposed to get full charge ?
    Anyone who has more ideas of how I could get it to charge ?
    Maybe the westgate is broken ?
    Also I had a thought about the "rods" inside the turbo might be broken so the gate won´t open / close ?

/ Happy for answer

Dennis

9. SweSuburban

SweSuburban New Member

Got it fixed !
    There were holes in the front exhaust, so i welded it and now it runs fine.
    Thanks for all the answers tho !