Suburban Bites The Dust

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bimmer84, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bimmer84

bimmer84 Member

My beloved K1500 Suburban quit on me today. Well, it didn't actually quit running, but the transmission started slipping so badly that I couldn't make the top of a small hill. I called for a wrecker, and waited. After being parked for a couple of hours it was revived enough to drive up on to the flatbed wrecker. I assumed it was time for a rebuild so I sent it to a local transmission shop. The vehicle has 201,000 miles on it.

The rebuilder is reputable, so I am not that worried about the results, but is there anything I should be aware of for this rebuild? Any parts that I need to make sure get replaced? Suggestions?

2. bimmer84

bimmer84 Member

Thanks Caddiac. I had a job like that done on my Safari so I am trying to avoid it this time. This company has been in business a long time and is well regarded. It is a local independent. I wish there was a way to tell whether high grade parts are used.

3. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

if he rebuilds the tranny and is cheaper the lets say 700 bucks, then i would ask him which parts he used !? Which tranny is in there...?

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah -like Daredevil the Diesel man says- too cheap is a bad sign.
    Around here-NOLA- they usually charge ~ $2000 for a GM rebuild.The PO of my 98 Suburban paid $1800 in 2006- year before I bought it-30,000 miles later all is still well.
    Charlie

5. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Why not ask the tranny shop to note the parts and brands they're using and include on the receipt? I don't know if they'll do it, but it's worth asking, no?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

$1200 - $1400 is the ballpark price for that rebuild.

7. bimmer84

bimmer84 Member

Thanks much for all the advice. The price is $1360 + tax. 12mos/12k mile warranty.

8. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

That sounds correct to me !!!