1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Suburban Greetings from AZ

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by stantok, Jul 17, 2012.

1. stantok

stantok New Member

I just hauled a fine 1984 K20 Suburban from CO and can't wait to get started on it. I have to admit it was the standard transmission 4x4 that realed me in. (Growing up in the mountains I loved driving standard transmissions pickups through the woods.) Theres nothing too rough with her that some general TLC couldn't take care of. I purchased her from her second owner and from the looks of it both were old men so I'm not going to have to strip a lot other mistakes out of it. I have a little laundry list to start:

1. My first step is to get her passed emissions and back on the road. She runs ok and doesn't smoke too much after you let her run so I might get off easy here. I'm hearing stories of denatured alcohol here.
    2. Install rear air conditioning. My burb didn't come with rear AC and I'm in AZ. The front AC works great but it doesn't help much when the ice in the cooler is melting in the back. I'll be on the look out for handy ideas here.
    3. Lift kits and tires. I'll need her to stand 3-4" higher so I can get some larger meat under there. I understand that I might need to regear the truck when this happens and this will be virgin territory for me.
    4. Need more power!!! I'm not sure if the odo has rolled over once or twice yet. I know she smoked pretty bad before I changed the oil and seafoamed the carb. I'm hoping its not rings but I should be pepaired for a rebuild or crate should I need one.
    5. Exterior. I'm looking to throw a safari style rack on the top with some additional lighting. I'd like to straighten out some of the dings and dents and either cover the exterior in vynl or rino line the exterior. There's not much point in repainting her since I'll be out in sharp scrub and brush that will just scratch the paint anyway. What I'm looking for is something that will prevent rust when the paint does scratch.

My goal is to build a good solid all around fun truck. Something I can use to tote the family around when the wife is busy, use to off road, camp, and hunt, with my buddies and above all have fun with.

This will be the first Chevy I've worked on in some time. My family has always been huge Ford fans while I've always been a closet chevy freak. I've always had a passion for the 80's style Suburban and now I finally got my grubby hands on one.

I'm an engineer/entrepreneur that works in various industries as a consultant. I know my way around electrons but but these old trucks feed the sole. Anyhow its been a long time since I was busting knuckles on the family ranch fixing tractors so I'll be looking for any advice I can get to keep costs low and my results high.

Thanks in advance for all the comments and help.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club and congrats on your new project! :great:
  3. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club!
  4. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Welcome, sounds like a real champ you picked up!
  5. Rocky

Rocky Member

Welcome from Oregon!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new rig.
  6. GMCErica

GMCErica Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

WELCOME TO THE GMTC Family!! :) hope that you enjoy the site.. :)
  7. stantok

stantok New Member

First pics of the burben burben home safe and sound.

Thanks, here is my first pic. I towed her home to Phoenix from Denver using my big Ford. I couldn't risk being broken down on the way home. Uhh, by the way don't let the good folks at Uhaul know that's what I was towing LOL. If I told them exactly what I was pulling I know they would have never rented me the trailer. I know I broke a few rules getting her down here but we were very careful doing it. The burb barely fit front to back and left to right on the trailer. We ended up strapping both the spare tires to the tongue under the truck, lowering the tire pressure on the front tires, and emptying all the gas from the burb to get it to pull right. Between that a couple of red flags and some reflexive duct tape on the rear window spelling IN TOW we were good to go. Even with all the weight distribution we did we couldn't go over 60mph before fish tailing. As far as pulling power was concerned I had plenty in reserve for the long uphill pulls. Hope to have the burn in similar running condition soon.

IMG_0413.jpg .

8. stantok

stantok New Member

Keys LOL where I'm going we won't need "keys". Thanks for the warm welcome.
  9. Rocky

Rocky Member

Hah! Nice move.

I did the same thing once witha F150 on the trailer stuffed with about 3000 lbs of more stuff and pulled it from San Diego to Portland using a Dodge to pull it. LOL
    Some parts of the journey were at 30 MPH.
  10. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, It's good to have you with us. :glasses: