suburban off-road vehicle

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by EdPDX, Jul 21, 2010.

1. EdPDX

EdPDX Rockstar

I have a a 73 Chevy C20 2WD; but just got back from the desert where I spent entirely too much time picking "my line" on otherwise 4x4 roads. I have a family 4x4 in my 98 Suburban. It had 20" wheels on it- FANCY ones- not off-road, so I am guessing some lift already- bought it used, so I don't know. Had the transfer case done by the dealer last year and it runs fine. But I want a 4-wheeler that gets me in the back country.

Should I get a lift kit and some rims/tires? OR is a suburban a poor choice? My second choice was to go with a surplus M1009 Blazer, third choice a 2001 XJ.

If it is doable, I'd like to go with the Suburban though because I have way to go to my favorite hunting ground- so I end up taking lots of stuff.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. ChivaLRy

ChivaLRy Rockstar

Imo, burbs are a great off-roaders. Not much of a fan of the XJs. What size motor does the burb have in it?

3. EdPDX

EdPDX Rockstar

350 vortec. Runs strong. What kind of mods do I need at the minimum?

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I go with 3in of lift and 33s... That will put you up in the air enough to get some clearanace.. And otherwise the Suburban in stock trim is a great off road truck for hunters/ and enthusiats (cant spell) alike...

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The main disadvantage to a Suburban off-road is that long wheelbase. Maybe it's because I started out with a Bronco II (which some claim had the best turning radius of most anything and could follow most ATV trails) to an Explorer (which was a little longer but could still navigate some tight turns) to the Suburban. I suppose it depends on the kinds of trails you run, but you may be doing three point turns where the smaller rigs just turn the corner. You'll have a harder time dodging trees.

On the other hand, nothing else on the road (except an Excursion) is going to compete with the cargo/people carrying capacity of your Suburban.

FWIW, My suburban is at stock height, and it gets me where I want to go (except when the trail gets too narrow). Look at the trails you run and see if you need more clearance.

The other main advantage to the Suburban is you already have it. No additional cost to purchase/license/etc. a separate trail rig.

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I agree with you looking at where you are going.. He was just complaining about a 2wd burbon and a bit more tire will actually put a bit more lift anyhow.. I use my stock height 4wd Z71 for the same thing and it gets me where i want to go as well.

7. ChivaLRy

ChivaLRy Rockstar

It definately depends heavily upon how "rugged" the terrian you drive in. If it's really heave back country stuff, ya I'd prob. go with something shorter. But like MrShorty said, if ya got 8 people you're takin along you can't beat a Suburban. Just like everything else... Pros and cons.