1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

suburban/pickup project

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 89suburban4x4, Nov 8, 2009.

1. 89suburban4x4

89suburban4x4 New Member

I have a 89 suburban 4x4, im getting ready to buy a new truck and plan to cut the back off my suburban and make it into a crew cab truck. Iv seen a few pics of it done but no details, anybody seen it done or know anything i should before i do it? thanks
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

I thought about something like this, years ago, but I was going to do the big Blazer thing. Cut the back end off and add the rails, supports, etc., so I could bolt the roof back on.
    The only ones I've seen have just had plywood for the new cab back, and looked cheap.

I guess hit the salvage yards and see if you can find a donor cab, to use the back off of it, or check out the Blazers and do the project I never got to.

Good luck,
  3. TheUnit

TheUnit New Member

Pro Trucks of Siloam Springs, AR did this to at least one or two old burbs. 479.524.0111 Brandon or Brian can give you any info you might want..
  4. 89suburban4x4

89suburban4x4 New Member

At my work theres a mid 80s chevy crew cab, it used to be an old refrigerator truck. Its been broken down for years but my boss is having it scraped and i should be able to get the back of the cab to use.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I saw one a few years ago at a truck show being used as advertisement for a custom car bodyshop in Mobile, Alabama.
    They used the back wall of a GM truck cab for theirs. It looked real good, almost factory.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Active Member 1000 Posts

I think it will look great! Keep us up on pictures as you go.:glasses:
  8. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

If I ever decided to cut mine up.... I had an idea to kinda set it up like the Avalanches.... :glasses:
  9. BLUBURBAN

BLUBURBAN New Member

Here's what you need to do instead of hacking up the ass end of your burb......

Attached Files:

10. 89suburban4x4

89suburban4x4 New Member

the tranny went out a few days ago so the project is off