Suburban Solid Axle Swap

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by BettyTheBurban, Mar 3, 2017.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea drugs are bad, but addictions, like an addiction to modding your truck can be just as painful.

BettyTheBurban likes this.
  2. BettyTheBurban

BettyTheBurban New Member

Found a Burban body and D60 on open source, so all I had to build was the frame. And guess what, after 30 minutes of searching I found the GM specs!
    https://www.gmupfitter.com/pages/body-builder-manuals

This is basically what I used as reference:

Frame Arrangement.png

And here's what I have drafted so far:

Separate.png
    And the body fits perfectly!

FItted.png

3. BettyTheBurban

Well... 10" lift and 40" tires definitely won't work. Naive me was hopelessly crossing my fingers... Gotta lift suspension more or downsize tires. 40 tires 10 lift.png

thegawd likes this.
  4. BettyTheBurban

37s look a ton smaller, but it'll have to do. Maybe we'll build her up bigger in the future. (These aren't the rims or tires I'll be using, just open-source being used for sizing.) This setup right here gives me 23" between the ground and the frame.

37 Tires 10 Lift.png

thegawd likes this.
  5. BettyTheBurban

With the truss I'm fitting and 37" tires, I should have 8.25" of upward travel when one wheel flexes. When the whole axle is at full stuff it will travel up about 3" before we get too close to the oil pan. Do these numbers sound reasonable? (These are just maximum travel specs. The bump stops will keep everything from going farther than this.)

Front Axle Flex.png

6. Beachbourbon

Beachbourbon Active Member 100 Posts

I think the 37s look good

BettyTheBurban likes this.