1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Suburban Tire Selection Help

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by WW_KROIL, Dec 3, 2010.

1. WW_KROIL

WW_KROIL New Member

http://tinypic.com/r/o9l8c1/7

Ok I am looking for some help on tires for my 2007 Chevy suburban Z71 right now there are Bridgestone Dueler A/T 265/65R 18 with almost 40,000 miles on them. I would more then likely go with these same tires but I am not overall happy with them in the towing area, granted they are a great off road tire have not got stuck once driving the back woods in West Virginia for hunting and have had no problems driving in Northeast Ohio winters the last three and half years with them. The problem I have and maybe it’s just me but when I tow my enclosed trailer weighing 1875 lbs. with 4 snowmobiles weighing around 800 lbs. each or 4 atv’s weighing around 600 lbs. roughly about 5200 lbs. and yes the proper tire pressure on the trailer tires 80 psi both axles And the truck tires 32 psi. But the truck has a lot of sway and my only conclusion is the tires, when I run them at the max pressure 44 psi. The sway goes away and it seems to tow better. I had no problem towing this trailer before when I had my 2004 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cad 4x4 granted 2 totally different vehicles.
    I did a little research on the Dueler’s and come to find out they are only SL which means standard load which in turn I think gives the truck that Cadillac like ride which is great but I would sacrifice the ride for a little more tow control. I have been doing some research and have come up with this tire for a possible replacement to the Dueler’s but I would like some other suggestions for possible tires or thoughts on this tire if anyone has them on their vehicle. Firestone Destination A/T 275/70R 18 C and if correct the C is the load range which might give me better tow control. I could have this all wrong also and it may not be the tires but something else so any idea's would be great.
    Thanks WW_KROIL
  2. 99monguse

99monguse Rockstar

I have a 2001 Suburban and I just bought Michelin LTX AT2 in the E-load range and it's a night and day difference from the standrad load range tire. These tires are not noisey and so far the traction is great.
  3. WW_KROIL

WW_KROIL New Member

Thanks will look into those tires.
  4. byrdman*2010

byrdman*2010 New Member

2nd recommendation on the Michelins. Great tire.
  5. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I believe the Bridgestones you have are passenger rated tires. Your large heavy vehicle would be better suited with Light Truck tires especially since you are towing. Get e rated LT tires. You won't really notice the difference in ride comfort. Plus ride comfort includes not white knuckling it when you are swaying around while towing. The michelins recommended above should give a nice smooth ride and good towing performance.
    Good Luck.

....also you need to be running them at the max pressure when you tow....
  6. WW_KROIL

WW_KROIL New Member

Do you think the E rated tires will be alittle to much I was thinking more like a C rated tire, but it would be nice to have it tow better I had E rated tires on my 04 2500 HD and that trailer towed like a good dream never new it was back there. I will let you guys know which one's I get and how they handle...
  7. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

Not to hijack your thread, but will 285/75R16 fit on a stock 1997 K1500 Suburban?
    Thanks,
    Steve
  8. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Yes they would.

AND I SAY ALSO MICHELIN ARE THE BEST !! But pricey !!
  9. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I'm running Goodyear duratracs on my 07 (265's) and love them. great for deep snow. however because mine is a 3/4 ton i went with the E rating. real real stiff, can feel every bump in the road but the original E rated firestones were no less stiffer
  10. ElbowJoe

ElbowJoe Member

I have had Chevy trucks since '88. I have had my best luck with Michelin. I do not do much off-roading except for going deer hunting down some pretty nasty muddy and snowy 2 tracks in northern Michigan and towing a trailer behind my Suburban to go dirt biking - but I have never been stuck. I do a lot of highway miles with my Suburban as I did with my Silverado before this and get between 90,000 - 100,000 miles on the Michelins. I did try a set of Goodyears on my truck - but they never came close to the mileage I got with my Michelins. I think they were done after about 60,000 or so. After this experience, I decided to stick with Michelin rather than experiment anymore. I found the reviews offered on the Tire Rack website to be helpful also as they cover a wide variety of usage types etc. Michelin tires are expensive, but If I can get up from 1 1/2 - 2 X the miles before I need to replace them, I figure it is money well spent.