1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Suburban ZW7 "Nivomat" Suspension

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Psyc0, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Psyc0

Psyc0 New Member 100 Posts

Anyone else looking at replacement rear shocks, (actually suspension supportive dampeners) for their Suburban/Tahoe/GMC with ZW7 "Nivomat" option?
    So far, I found these:
    http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm/id/460766/name/SR2004-KYB-Nivomat-GM-Trucks-and-SUVs

The front shocks in a ZW7 system can be replaced by good quality gas shocks, but the rears cannot; because the springs in the rear are weaker/softer than normal, and will sag if used in conjunction with a standard shock absorber.
    A spring change (to standard suspension) will allow you to use a regular shock absorber, however, GM claims the ride comfort will suffer.
    BTW: the suspension option should be listed on the inside of the glove-box, hence if You have a ZW7 code (Premium Smooth Ride), or a Z55 code (Auto-Ride Control), it's gonna cost You to replace the dampening units. :shocked::grrrrrr:

Please post a link if You find the same or similar item at a better price. :glasses:
    KYB, Sachs, and Monroe builds the above "Nivomat" replacement parts, with the Sachs being the factory originals.

Here's another replacement part: Monroes for $269.10...scroll down to the Monroe for Nivomat.
    http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2004/chevrolet/suburban_1500/suspension/shock_absorber.html
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. Psyc0

I actually found the factory correct pair of Nivomat shocks (Sachs) on amazon.com for less money than the Monroe or KYB units, and I paid no sales tax, plus received free overnight shipping.

It sure pays to look around the internet! :glasses:
  3. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

Good job on finding a better price!...it sure does pay to look around!
  4. M-technik-3

M-technik-3 New Member

Got my front for my Tahoe LT autoride off of Ebay new for 384 for a pair.
  5. Psyc0

Yep! :great:
  6. Psyc0

Auto-ride is Z55 option?
  7. M-technik-3

M-technik-3 New Member

Not sure but mine says LT with autoride right underneath. Not sure if mine is a a Z55 I'm not sure how to find the RPO list and what is on my truck.

Nevermind found the RPO plate, Autoride is Z55.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  8. Psyc0

Thought so.
    Auto-Ride uses a different shock than the ZW7 Nivomat suspension.
    Nivomat is self-contained, Auto-Ride is powered.