Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Subwoofer/amp issue...

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by HawaiiKid, Jun 14, 2010.

1. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

So I was driving on the interstate this past weekend, listening to my music at a pretty reasonable level (aka, not blowing out any windows but louder than "normal" to most people) and I hit a pothole...not very hard, didnt really shake the truck much, but my subs shut off. I wasnt sure what happened, so I turned them off (via my dash switch) and back on...nothing. So I pull over at the next rest stop, check all the obvious stuff, wire connection on the back of the amp, fuses, under hood fuse...everything looks normal. I turn them back on, and they work fine, as long as the music is played really soft...as soon as I turn it up past 8 (10 is soft, 15 is "typical" loudness to me, 20 is LOUD) the subs start "crackling"...not sure how else to describe it. So I just leave them off, drive for another hour, and once I get to my friends place I pull my deck out and start messing with wires. I notice that playing with the RCA plugs seems to change the sound a bit...so I switch the inpuds to different ports on the back of the deck, and that seems to fix my problems...for about 3 minutes. As I am drivin down the road, I notice I didnt push the deck all the way back into the dashmount, and its sliding out...as I push it back it, the subs turn off again, and go back to the crackling sound (not very loud btw, cant even really hear it unless the truck is off and you are leaning over them). No amount of playing with the RCA cables will change it.

So...whats up with my system? Its not the ground, fuses, or the underhood fuce. Not the power wire, or the speaker wires going to the subs. Any advice is welcome!

2. HawaiiKid

Andddddddd...obvious problem with one of my subs. I have them both in a downward firing box, and apparently a steel bolt rolled underneath the box at some point, and when I hit that pothole it must have bounced up right as the sub was firing, and it basically shattered the face of my Punch sub. Woops. Guess its time for new subs...and these are only 6 months old.

3. BlueZ71CC

BlueZ71CC New Member

That sucks! Sorry to hear that. Maybe it is time to "upgrade" the subs a little!

Chris

4. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You didn't have any warranty with the subs? But then again, I guess mechanical damage isn't included under warranty.

5. HawaiiKid

Here is what the sub looked like after everything:
    [​IMG]
    And here is the sub and the bolt that did the damage
    [​IMG]
    And here are the replacement subwoofers, Alpine Type E's
    [​IMG]